Lutron Dimmer Modules. Fault on outside lighting. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Lutron Dimmer Modules. Fault on outside lighting. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jktelectrical

Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone has experianced this problem, I have installed an outside lighiting in a recent electrical installation the cable is fed from a lutron dimmer module installed in a pln8 panel, the individual module is backed up by a 16A rcbo.

The lighting circuit is installed using a SWA cable feeding three underground 70watt hqi uplighters buried in the ground, the terminations are made using galv conduit accessory boxes filled with magic gel and buried underground, with a flex cable feeding the fitting.

The light fitting are made by guzini and the length of run is around 35m in total length, 1.5mm 3 core SWA.

The problem I have is then when the fittings start up and run the module goes into fault.

After all successfull inspection and testing and all the relivent dead and live tests proving a success I am finding this one difficult,

What I am asking is that do luton dimmer modules struggle with high pressure sodium lamps...

Many thanks..

:p

Lutron usually state that you should use 2.5mm cable as a minimum, but this shouldn't cause it to fault. Have you tested the circuit are clear and have you tried the circuit without using the dimmer and just switch the load?

Having re read your post - promted by pennwise's post 1: What Lutron system have you installed. 2: deprding on the system you can switch but not dim the existing Guzzini's , 3: Whay exactly are you trying to achive?

HI,

Dimmer modules have been installed but have been programed to be switched on and switched off no dim has been programed due to the type of fittings installed.

They normally require a switching panel for 4000 and 6000 series you still have'nt stated which Lutron system is installed without this info I cant help you.

HI.

Dimmers that are installed are HW-RPM-4A-230 dimmer module, that have a main processor but not sure on the model number of this,, I know they all fit into a PLN8 panel.

Its a homeworks 8 series dimmer, HVW-4A-230 is rated at 4a I konw there ok for Inc, LV MLV lamps I dont think they support HQI

Hi Bugsy, thanks for that, I have spoke to the the guys that program the lutron they say there good for HQi fittings but they pnly program them,, I might try and switch the load through a contactor even though its only a small load it might trick the dimmer,

There is a different time of dimmer which only switch on and off and not dim even if programed to, they might have a bit of tolerance in the circuit boards.

Lutron is a cracking stytem but can be a pain in the rear as there designed for us market.

Reply to Lutron Dimmer Modules. Fault on outside lighting. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net