Main bonding and the new regulations. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Main bonding and the new regulations. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all..

I am so used to the fact that there has to be Main bonding that I am struggling to not put it in in the following case:

Incoming pipe is plastic. The builder has then fitted a plastic stopcock (inside the house) and then a mixture of plastic and copper from there (see pic).

I haven't tested the copper pipe you can see next the stopcock but I expect it will test as connected to the MET due to parallel paths. It will be impossible to disconnect all these paths to see if extraneous.

I'm guessing with the new regulations I don't main bond? Plus it's plastic anyway, it would be ridiculous to put a clamp over plastic!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Main bonding and the new regulations.

When testing you are not checking if the conductive part is connected to the installation earth but whether it is connected to different potential from the earthing of the installation, in most cases this is the potential of the external ground.
Unless those copper pipes go down through the earth they are not introducing a different potential and so do not need bonding.

Evening all..

I am so used to the fact that there has to be Main bonding that I am struggling to not put it in in the following case:

Incoming pipe is plastic. The builder has then fitted a plastic stopcock (inside the house) and then a mixture of plastic and copper from there (see pic).

I haven't tested the copper pipe you can see next the stopcock but I expect it will test as connected to the MET due to parallel paths. It will be impossible to disconnect all these paths to see if extraneous.

I'm guessing with the new regulations I don't main bond? Plus it's plastic anyway, it would be ridiculous to put a clamp over plastic!

View attachment 44098
I would hazard a guess, that in the picture that is NOT the main water intake.

How do you work that out HHD
Because the builder installed it and he told me it was. He also explained how it was acceptable as a stop cock and explained why he actually preferred it to a standard metal tap (less likely to leak). It's his department and I except his word as a professional and competent builder.

Because the builder installed it and he told me it was. He also explained how it was acceptable as a stop cock and explained why he actually preferred it to a standard metal tap (less likely to leak). It's his department and I except his word as a professional and competent builder.
This Plumber that spun you that yarn, are you sure he is a Plumber?

Agree with Pete - doesn't look like main incomer. Looks like 15mm push fits. Unless he has adapted the incomer under the cupboard or floorboards.

Plus I don't like the stop tap just hanging there - bound to get knocked. There's a clip below it but the pipe isn't lined up with it. Very poor.

This Plumber that spun you that yarn, are you sure he is a Plumber?
Thanks for the input Pete, but I'll bow politely out of this conversation as it's the builders work not mine.

Reply to Main bonding and the new regulations. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net