Main Bonding of Water Pipe | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Main Bonding of Water Pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JUD

Hi all.

I've got my Elecsa assessment on 3rd Jan and I'm using a new CU and partial rewire on my own house.

My question is this. My main water pipe (which is lead) enters the house under the floorboards. However all water pipes above the floorboards are plastic.

Would you say that the pipe under the floor requires bonding?

I do intend to replace the lead with plastic eventually but this won't be in time for my assessment.

Just wondering what you guys think.

Cheers

JUD

Maybe you should have a length of cable and a clamp at the ready just in case?
To my mind, the pipe will only need bonding, if it can be touched, or if the assessor says so.

That was what I was thinking.

My other concern was that if I was to bond under the floor then it wouldn't be accessible anyway.

Would you say that the pipe under the floor requires bonding?

IMO no, as it is not an exposed conductive part, as it is not normally accessible, and for the same reason not an extraneous conductive part.

The whole idea of bonding these parts is to make them part of the equipotential zone, as none of the parts are normally accessible they cannot introduce a potential into the zone, earth or otherwise, nor are likely to become live under fault conditions in the zone.

Just my opinion

Last edited:

Reply to Main Bonding of Water Pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
4-5 hours for 150? no chance, this is 2024, 150 for 2 hours maybe, that said an hour seems pretty quick, not sure he did the job right
Replies
Views
  • Article
This is an RSS feed of thread: Gas or Water Pipe? Look to find cause of damp in wall. Content of the thread: Hi all, First time post so please...
Replies
Views
C
  • Article
Noisy main cold water pipe, my plumber hasn't heard this before. Hi Folks, Would like to cast the net far and wide to try and get some resolution...
Replies
Views
ComfortablyNumb
C
Indeed it would be. But that would mean having 2 things to disconnect instead of one. More margin for error. Of course, any diligent spark would...
Replies
Views
loz2754
L
The power company only brings in 3 wires which is 2 live and 1 neutral wire. It’s our responsibility to add the ground rod to bond the neutral...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks