Main Switched Fused | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Main Switched Fused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Fig

I Have an issue with the consumer unit being around 10m in cable length away from the meter box.

To anyones knowledge can a main switched fused be located in an attic space if the customer has agreed. The attic is in a large bungalow with easy access and has been boarded out.

I know the switched fused is suppose to be within 3m of the meter.

Any feed back would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you fit a small KMF in the cabinet.....

[ElectriciansForums.net] Main Switched Fused

I could easily fit a KMF in the cabinet lenny. I have fed the meter box with a SWA (25mm) so have a single insulating cable issue. If I could put a metal clad Main switched fused in the box it would be fine. I am just not sure if and when they come to connect the meter they will then refuse.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

I could easily fit a KMF in the cabinet lenny. I have fed the meter box with a SWA (25mm) so have a single insulating cable issue. If I could put a metal clad Main switched fused in the box it would be fine. I am just not sure if and when they come to connect the meter they will then refuse.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

If you want a metal clad item, why dont you get a metal clad enclosure and fit a 80A 100mA RCD? And we have never had issues with fitting Isolators in the meter box. As i understand it The meter box is the properties property. The cut out and cable and meter are the DNO's/Service provider's property..

Ok thank you. So just to clarify. You think it is ok to leave the 25mm SWA in the meter box made off into a metal clad enclosure with a 80A RCD feeding the house?

Thank you J&M Electrical.

Ok Thanks again. My only other thought was to put a metal clad switched fused in the top of the meter box, leaving tales coming out ready for the supply company to connect. The only thought was if this would take up too much room inside the box. Are the metal enclosures you are thinking of a lot smaller than A Main switched fused?

Reply to Main Switched Fused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net