Melted MCB | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Melted MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
[ElectriciansForums.net] Melted MCB
Customer reported medium sized storage heater not working. I found this. It melted the case of the MCB adjacent to it as well. I guess it was a loose connection.

different scenario, but on our site, we use thermographic images to help detect loose connections (through hot spots). We get a lot of these in the factory and i always wonder how close we were to a fire!

They materials used smudge are fire resistant and will melt or char as oppose to burst into flame, The risk comes when 2 adjoining mcb are affected when on different phases as you can get a dialectric breakdown and a high inmpedence fault can start quickly turning into a short... now this is where you get the bursts of flames :D

different scenario, but on our site, we use thermographic images to help detect loose connections (through hot spots). We get a lot of these in the factory and i always wonder how close we were to a fire!

We also do this, Along with ultra sonic.
Amazing how many things were picked up over the first few years of doing it now hardly anything is picked up LOL.

Thermographic image camera's can be an absolute god send in large working industrial and commercial installations. Unfortunately they are still way out of the price range of any electrician or small company that are predominantly working in the domestic sector. It's also not just a case of purchasing a thermal imaging device, you also have to know how to use it and know how to decypher the imaging information it's providing.... Reading and relying on the manufacturers instructions provided, gives very little help to be totally honest!!

Hopefully these thermal imaging devices will significantly come down in price in the coming years....

You can pick up a very decent thermal camera for the price of a mid-range multifunction tester nowadays. You're correct - a one day training course is a must to become familiar with thermography principles and using a camera.

As copper has such a low emissive property, it can cause very strange readings to the untrained eye. Without thermally tuning a camera correctly, a busbar operating at 25 degrees Celsius could actually be reported as being much higher.....

The risk comes when 2 adjoining mcb are affected when on different phases as you can get a dialectric breakdown

I've seen this on old Dorman Smith Loadmasters, had a board with a dozen charred and carbonised breakers. a few of which had very little of the case left, they were like breaker skeletons. The original cause might have been a combination of loose terminals and high resistance at the MCB contacts themselves due to corrosion.

I know a chap who does this as a living - he cited a case (large factory) where for a not inconsiderable fee, he identified several circuits that were 'on' when not required- wait for it- he knocked off £10,000 off their heating bill.

a month!!

theres money in thermal imaging.

Reply to Melted MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net