melted starter? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss melted starter? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just visited a commercial property where the flourescent light starter had melted, i checked the circuits, polarity insulation etc but couldnt find anything wrong, has anyone any ideas why this may have happened?

Came accross this before on a fitting that was flickering on & off. Starter was melted so changed starter & lamp all fine and still is.

Got called to a shop where this had happened it was tripping the MCB and they kept resetting it.
I thought they might have put a wrong starter in, but it was so melted I couldn't tell. Plus it was a real s*d to get our

Jim

A conventional starter on flourescent fittings consist of a bi mettalic switch which heats up under startup bends and open circuits. When they stick the strip just keeps heating up and melts the plastic outer case. Hope this helps explain whats happened to the over heated starter. ;)

The starter switches on and off your ballast (choke) inside the metal case. If you felt it it will be hot and on its way out.(taking too much current and overheating the contacts of the starter)

Reply to melted starter? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
If the ka rating of the MCB was to low it could happen or if it keeps getting reset over and over and over, it will fail.
Replies
Views
Switch by the door, pendant holder and a 100W bulb, some will remember, others weren't born yet when it went out of fashion, but this was the...
Replies
Views
Check the clearance between the back panel and/or terminal cover that you've removed. Look for small burn marks.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks very much for your help chaps. It turned out to be reversed polarity and some dodgy DIY stuff. I'll go back another day to sort it...
Replies
Views
In my opinion replacing the consumer unit and waiting to see which RCBO trips is not a good fault finding technique. If the lighting circuit...
Replies
Views
davesparks
D

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks