Metal Bath Waste Pipes | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Metal Bath Waste Pipes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bulmer

Should lead waste pipes have a main equipotential bond back to the MET, even if they dont come into contact with the main cast iron soil stack outside, or just supplementry bonded along with the hot/cols/rads in the bathroom.

Cheers Guys

my understanding of the regs
16th continual cross bond to hot, cold, light, shower etc
17th no cross bond required if install meets the regs ie RCD to circuits. main bonding correct size, test readings are below maximum in the BRB

Ash

Indeed but an IR test should be carried out as i described.

There is a danger of introducing a potential if the pipe is isolated from earth and its bonded.

Just because its metal, doesnt mean it needs bonding.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed but an IR test should be carried out as i described.

There is a danger of introducing a potential if the pipe is isolated from earth and its bonded.

Just because its metal, doesnt mean it needs bonding.:)

e.g. if you have metal window frames they won`t need bonding - but they may need painting :D

As Jason said, an IR test between a metallic `object` & earth should be conducted - a reading 20-30k or above dictates the item should NOT be bonded (below 20k ohms then it should)

...as in: test voltage of 500v divided by non-lethal current of 25mA gives 20,000 ohms

...yet another instance of the use of Ohms law basically. Modify non-lethal current to manipulate max resistance reading as you see fit...

as in: 500v/20mA=25kohm

Reply to Metal Bath Waste Pipes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net