Metal theft 23/07/11 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Metal theft 23/07/11 in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

It will go on as long as we have a trendy liberal leftie running the country and a "justice minister" (if you can call him that) in ken clark who simply refuses to see that some people simply wont behave in a civilised manner like everyone else and therefore need locking up for there own and everyone elses safety. The answer to this in my opinion would be to take a swift,vigourous approach to those who get up to nicking cable/metals etc for there own miserable pleasures-getting high on drink and drugs etc which is what these ill gotten gains are going on........

I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever what punishment is waiting at the end of these crimes-these people are risking their lives, they are hardly 'think of the consequences' type scum!

One of the most prolific places for copper theft is South Africa and their justice system certainly can't be described as liberal!

i think that when deciding if a punishment will work you need to consider the persons recieving the punishment.
whilst it is very true that south africa is not liberal in this regard, and yet crime still persists, i do believe that criminals in this country would quieten down if punishment were to be become more severe.
we have awarded people with a elevated sense of self esteem over here which in turn has created a society who thrive on taking the p*ss. a criminal need only to be rough handled by cops or denied a sex change or a playstation and next thing you know the human rights act comes swooping down and creates a ringfence around them ensuring that their audacious behaviour is tolerated for a longer period of time.
i think that perhaps other countries criminals are still misbehaving because of social conditions such as state brutality and poverty. they are not riding the glorious wave of plenty.
these two situations are two different to compare i think.

less than 500 metres from my house we have large river. on the other side is sited virgin media and on my side is sited a major hospital. cable thieves cut through the metal piping beneath the bridge and took the pipe and cables. unfortunately the cables were the major communications links for the hospital. so imagine how many people probably died as a result of a late ambulance or inability to contact a consultant?
these same thieves took the man hole cover from the obtusely angled junction at the bottom of my street. yes the man whole cover is sited less than 4 feet round the corner. very frustrating when you drive round it.

these people are not acting out of poverty. they have a damn good angle grinder for a start. if the police got their hands on them and beat them literally to death without trial i would raise my glass and cheer. along with every other taxpayer round here.

yeah thats another thing i noticed this week...! the glorious red traffic cones that are plonked on open voids along durhams country roads...!! FFS who the **** accepts drain covers at the scrap dealers and does not batter an eye lid...!!

i think that when deciding if a punishment will work you need to consider the persons recieving the punishment.
whilst it is very true that south africa is not liberal in this regard, and yet crime still persists, i do believe that criminals in this country would quieten down if punishment were to be become more severe.
we have awarded people with a elevated sense of self esteem over here which in turn has created a society who thrive on taking the p*ss. a criminal need only to be rough handled by cops or denied a sex change or a playstation and next thing you know the human rights act comes swooping down and creates a ringfence around them ensuring that their audacious behaviour is tolerated for a longer period of time.
i think that perhaps other countries criminals are still misbehaving because of social conditions such as state brutality and poverty. they are not riding the glorious wave of plenty.
these two situations are two different to compare i think.

less than 500 metres from my house we have large river. on the other side is sited virgin media and on my side is sited a major hospital. cable thieves cut through the metal piping beneath the bridge and took the pipe and cables. unfortunately the cables were the major communications links for the hospital. so imagine how many people probably died as a result of a late ambulance or inability to contact a consultant?
these same thieves took the man hole cover from the obtusely angled junction at the bottom of my street. yes the man whole cover is sited less than 4 feet round the corner. very frustrating when you drive round it.

these people are not acting out of poverty. they have a damn good angle grinder for a start. if the police got their hands on them and beat them literally to death without trial i would raise my glass and cheer. along with every other taxpayer round here.

It's talk such as this that results in all the additional rights being given to the offenders.

'Police brutality' in the 70's and early 80's set the scene for the likes of Liberty and other human rights groups to create a 'criminals charter' of protection and shielding!

I would start with more frequent inspections on the scrappies. I think this is where the problem really lies.
I know the plod has special units covering this but they need to be more aggressive with bigger fines, maybe even introducing a license that could then be revoked. If you threaten the livelihood of the scrap merchant they will tighten up, and if the thieves have no way of selling then they'll have to got back to stealing our tools instead.

most scrap dealers are bloody gypsies any way!! whats the point...!

i cant even imagine a way back for the hell hole this country has gotten in to...!

Reply to Metal theft 23/07/11 in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net