Meter checking | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Meter checking in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

smartspark

Hi all
I had a call from a customer saying there bill has just doubled nearly, from 7k to 12k per month, they have there own sub station.
question I have is, how do I go about checking to see if there meter is reading correctly and having it calibrated possibly. Will I have to call the local electricity supplier to check? Or can I hire some kind of equipment to check the draw of electricity against the meter?

Only real way of doing this is to contact the DNO have they had a new meter fitted or changed the suppliers could be the reason so many mistakes have been made dut first contact the Supplier for advice

You can hire a power data recorder from the forum sponsor here, or from a similar company. These units can record all sorts of parameters, ....A, KW, KWhr, KVAhr, etc etc to mention but a few!! Main thing to remember, that you need a recorder that will measure unbalanced 3 phase systems!!!

Yes, hire something like a Chauvin 8335 or a Fluke 435 and make sure the reporting software is included.

On the plus side, you'll also get power factor, voltage & current harmonic values, flicker and a whole host of other characteristics.

Set up for at least a 7 day monitoring period to capture usual patterns of use etc.

As there been a new meter fitted or as the client changed his supplier. If a new meter was fitted it may not have been set up on a special commercial tariff, again if he had changed supplier then they may have omitted setting up a commercial tariff.

If your a customer spending 7k a month and then it rises to 12k, with no apparent reason I think he would have a good chance of getting his DNO and supplier involved in this. They could set up a 2nd meter in conjunction with the first to track the consumption, or fit monitering devices as the other guys have said. My first port of call would be the supplier.

Reply to Meter checking in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net