metric thread to imperial | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss metric thread to imperial in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davelerave

i've got to adapt from inch to 25mm in galvanized steel

i know there's adapters available but;

can i fit a 25mm coupler onto inch steel tube

or

thread 25mm tube into inch female socket

-without using adapters
been a while so i can't recall thanks

no and no without magic metal. either will be too sloppy or wont go on. need to buy inch to foreign adaptors.

old trick if it fitted on loosly was to use a wrench to screw past existing thread into unthreaded conduit, the coupler would splay a tad but you got a good solid connection, but i only used this yrs ago to get me out of the quagmire, nowadays imperial/metric converters are easy to get hold of at most wholesalers.

When I started my apprenticeship metric conduit was just coming in. I’ve tried just about every method to bodge them together.

Get the proper adapters, save yourself the stress.

If you want to “borrow” a set of imperial dies then PM me.

Agree with Tony and Tel above, sounds much less stress. I have only come against it once and got round it by installing 4 inch adaptable box on the end of imperial then going off in metric.

needasparks,
YOU ARE LUCKY mate!
I come across many machines with imperial threaded entries into motors switch gear etc.
Then it is nigh on impossible to stick an adaptable box on it, especially due to the environment I meet most of these, adaptable boxes are just a no go area!

lol, i had in my head steel tube, i even ended where you can, then deleted it.
I have seen a wipe of solder across the thread to beef it up once but can't condone it ;)

There are other conductive ways to tighten up a thread...

TBH in the current litigious climate, then I would not consider anything other than adaptors tbh, even though there is only about 8 thou a side difference between an M25 & 1" thread.

i say scrap all this metric crap and go back to inches and 7/029 in red/yelolw/blue/black. put the great back in great britain.

Been working with some 7/029 today. Lovely stuff. 3mm csa, so good ccc and nice and flexible, unlike 2.5.

It's not just the 16 thou difference in diameter, it's also the different thread pitches that will bugger you about. Buy some adaptors and do it proper.

Agree with Tony and Tel above, sounds much less stress. I have only come against it once and got round it by installing 4 inch adaptable box on the end of imperial then going off in metric.

thanks ill get the adapter

all i have is a inch tube threaded into a tee

if i had a coupler and bushen it would be simpler

Reply to metric thread to imperial in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net