Mft 1730 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Mft 1730 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ian3

At the college I attend they have just updated all of they're testers from Megger 1552's to Megger 1730's

Running through the test sequence the other day i noticed that all of the loop settings are different to the previous ones on the 1552

I asked the tutor but didn't really grasp what he was saying.

Could someone explain them to me as I am completely lost.

For example there isn't a no trip or hi setting anymore or PFC and PSC.

Am I just being a bit thick here?

At the college I attend they have just updated all of they're testers from Megger 1552's to Megger 1730's

Running through the test sequence the other day i noticed that all of the loop settings are different to the previous ones on the 1552

I asked the tutor but didn't really grasp what he was saying.

Could someone explain them to me as I am completely lost.

For example there isn't a no trip or hi setting anymore or PFC and PSC.

Am I just being a bit thick here?

Guessing you won't get much 'testing experience' in at college then, these have to be the most unreliable testers ever! should have stuck with the 1552's.

anyways,
3-low is a 3 wire (L,N+E) loop test, ideal for sockets etc. It only puts a low current through so as not to trip the rcd, I think it also puts an equal current down the neutal, to keep the rcd balanced.
2-low is a 2 wire (L+E) loop test, that puts an extremely low current down the earth, so as not to trip the rcd, this function is not very accurate, and I would only use if absolutely necessary
2-HI is a 2 wire standard 10A loop test, putting 10A dowen the earth, thus tripping any RCD's and some MCB's

Many thanks for the speedy response.

I am however still a little confused.

What settings would you put the tester on to say test Ze or test Zs on ring final circuits.

And what is now the no trip and hi settings?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge

Where can I get the manual from?

So if I'm understanding this properly.

To carry out a Zs test on a ring circuit. Plug in to a socket outlet. Put the dial on the left to L-L/L-N and the dial on the right to Z. Then make sure that the setting is 3Lo (if circuit is on an RCD and 2Hi is not on an RCD) and carry out the test as normal

To carry out a Ze test. Put the dial on the left to L-PE and the dial on the right to Z. Disconnect the main earthing conductor clamp onto it. Put probe on live incomer and take reading.

Obviously I haven't mentioned any safety precautions just to save time and confuse myself less

thanks

All Earth loop tests should be carried out on the L-PE setting this is testing the resistance of the path to earth (earth loop)
The L-L and L-N setting is for testing bewteen phases and between phase and neutral, it is not used as part of the standard test procedure and is the first tester I have used to have this function (at least as a seperfate setting)

Ah I see, that clears it up. Thankyou Somersetsparks.

Quite confusing I must say to have them all lumped together without clear labeling. Maybe I'm just too much of a novice at the moment.

Thanks to everyone who contributed

Its good to ask mate, I learnt to test with a robin tester there was nothing to ask about lol! You just touched the probes on and off it went, no batterys etc.
The 1720 I have even confuses me, I'm sure theres a lot it can do that I don't know about

Guessing you won't get much 'testing experience' in at college then, these have to be the most unreliable testers ever! should have stuck with the 1552's.
I guess Megger might disagree. There are known issues with the 2 lead low in certain circumstances but the other functions work fine on my 1730's

Reply to Mft 1730 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net