MICC SUPPLY TO FLAT.Advise needed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss MICC SUPPLY TO FLAT.Advise needed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

maharg

Called to a job today .
Clients are refurbishing a flat in 1920s council owned tenement building.
Supply to the meter together with service head is from a locked sub distribution board on landing through wall to mantel cupboard by MICC.Main earth is the copper sheath.
The mantel cupboard is surface mounted and has been unfixed from wall and MICC has been bent.The meter is in the mantel cupboard.
An electrician was employed to rewire the flat but has gone missing.It transpires that he was recommended and the clients only have his mobile number.He has their payment in full.
That said the work he has carried out is of a high standard.Fortunately the cabling is still visible as ceilings and wall have not yet been plaster-boarded.
The council hold the key to the sub distribution board and have informed the client that they will open it to allow the client's electrician to cut and shorten it.
I have informed the client that it is not his responsibility as it prior to his meter,am I correct and if it is the suppliers responsibility would it be usual to replace the MICC.

Would it also be reasonable to request a safety cutout as main fuse is not accesible.
Thanks for any advice

What you need to do first is carry out a true Ze in the flat.

If this falls within 0.8ohms then you can continue and not worry about the MICC.

By all means, give the local DNO a call so that they can visually check it as it does belong to them, but unless there is a fault, they wont do anything with it.

Thanks Jason.
I am going back to the premises Thursday daytime to start testing as the previous electrician has disconnected all circuits and I called to flat late Friday evening and the flat was in darkness.
My problem is that a new consumer unit is to be installed some 2 metres away from the meter.The wall that the mantel cupboard housing the meter is on has been altered and the positioning of this cupboard is no longer appropriate.
The meter is supplied by MICC.
The previous electrician has told the customer that he would move the meter,resize the MICC and the council have agreed to open the sub distribution box to allow him access to do this.
Presumably he was going to terminate the MICC and use an earth clamp as it is an insulated cu he was intending to use.
I have told the client that this must be done by the DNO as any equipment prior to his meter does not belong to him.
The client has paid the previous electrician £475.00 to move the meter.
Before I insist that the client contacts the DNO to change the position of the meter and either shorten the existing MICC or renew with swa cable I wanted to be sure of my ground.
Also the MICC is 2L4.00 which I understand to have ccc of 44 to 47 amps depending on grade.
I have recently seen swa distribution cable replaced in a flat by non DNO electricians from the main fuse to a meter when a rewire was carried out.

Reply to MICC SUPPLY TO FLAT.Advise needed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net