Micc | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Micc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nolnoc

-
Reaction score
Hi guys
I've a small pyro job coming up and I haven't done any since my apprenticeship(a long time ago).I have been searching you tube looking for a video with no success.Anyone know of any online. I'm sure I'll be ok with it just a kind of refresher.
Cheers

practice on a bit of scrap before stripping the ends you don't want to damage. sure it will come back to you after a couple of bodges on scrap ends.

Good advise off tel
If you have done it before,it will be like riding a bike,you knew it,so you will know it

My question is
Do you still have the tools ?
[ElectriciansForums.net] Micc

Just remember the important bits, no air pockets when filling pot, dont touch the sealant and meggar regular when making off Ohh! and dont forget to discharge the capacitance before touching again :wink_smile:

Had to laugh reading through the link got to page 6 never used a Pyro Wench before

In the past I have used a small copper pipe cutter for ringing the Pyro probably cheaper than the Pyro ringer if it is a one off job not got an alternative for reliably crimping the pot though

"Pyro wench" ?? Had a girlfriend like that, difficult to strip, not the best to look at but once you put the work in worth the effort.:shocked:

That's a very good instruction manual on how to terminate MI.- better than the old CITB sheets. However, I'm afraid I do not agree with their test methods. Do not make off both ends before testing. One end at a time....

Why not, just don't put the compound in the second end before you do the tests

Wench is a new one on me too. Also had a special pot sealing tool (still got it somewhere). Like a pair of mole grips. Quick once you got used to it, got gunged up with compound but no real problems. No sign of it in the tools list.

I agree... You've answered your own question. That's the way I'd do it, before sealing and crimping the end.

I asked the question of your post testing one end at a time, I posted the method I use that you now seem to use:frown::frown: obviously a change of mind

Last edited:
Wench is a new one on me too. Also had a special pot sealing tool (still got it somewhere). Like a pair of mole grips. Quick once you got used to it, got gunged up with compound but no real problems. No sign of it in the tools list.

The mole grips had a dual function of crimping the wedge pots onto the Pyro then by retracting the sleeve were used to crimp the seal onto the pot

I asked the question of your post testing one end at a time, I posted the method I use that you now seem to use:frown::frown: obviously a change of mind

Lol. as I said, test each end first before making off, I can't see there's any contradiction. Its wise to position and open up each end before sealing because the 'other' end may be shorted out or damp, as is sometimes the case.
But if you are happy with a method then feel free to continue but from past experience I always test each end after making off .

a guy asked me to do an outside supply in pyro for him,anyway i had had my tools nicked and hadn,t replaced my pyro gear told the guy i couldnt do it as no tools, next thing he asks me to go to his house and look at some gear so i went round and he had the pyro,pots,glands ,seals etc and a full set of pyro tools. told me to use them to do the job then keep them as he could get more from work,and he didn,t know what you did with them anyway.did job and got chatting about what he did,turns out he worked at BICC and asked one of the tech lads what you needed to do pyro,then brought it home.

Sounds like you're on a roll with collecting electrical tools.
My best offer to anyone looking for MI tools is to check out all the car boot sales and junk shops. You can still buy them from trade counters but its always a special order.
6 years ago, I needed to replace a cutting wheel blade for my stripper. The chap on the other side of the counter thought it was a wind up - it may well have been since I'm still waiting for the blade to arrive. I sharpened it myself.

The mole grips had a dual function of crimping the wedge pots onto the Pyro then by retracting the sleeve were used to crimp the seal onto the pot
No, you're wrong with that, not the same thing. These were for sealing the pot only, folding the egde of the pot over the disc. The wedge pots were an idea that didn't really take off, at least I didn't care for them, and they didn't seem to be around for too long. Know what you're on about though.

Reply to Micc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net