Mid-warehouse electrical supply | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Mid-warehouse electrical supply in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

G1ZmO

Hi,

We need to get a power outlet (and lan cable) to the middle of our warehouse.

This will have only a small power requirement to run a pc and a printer only. (actually maybe a heat gun too)

The problem is that we have forklift access and pallet truck access all around the area.

I'm assuming that our only option is to drop a cable on a chain or something from the ceiling (approx 40ft)?

I also assume that legally this supply will need to go back to a circuit breaker at the board and not just plugged into the wall somewhere :)

Can anyone advise me on our options? i.e. what is the safe (legal) way to do this in order to be clear with the HSE?

Thanks

Paul

I'm assuming that our only option is to drop a cable on a chain or something from the ceiling (approx 40ft)?
personaly id say NO as the socket would be dangling it would be preferable to have socket be mounted on a pillar Id also build a safety barrier round the area where socket is as the operator using printer,heatgun would be at less risk of forklifts running into them
Id suggest calling a local Electrical contractor you will probably find one that you use for other maintenance

Thanks Mogga,

Hmm you're pretty close to us actually :)

Actually a post might be a good option as I'd like to maybe relocate the warehouse cameras there too

Yes, a safety barrier is a good point also.

Funny how the costs of ideas always keep rising :)

Paul

cost rise but imagine guy working at desk printing stuff inputing stuff n forklift driver going backwards watching that expensive wobbly palet on his forks then OOPS what was that bump guy at desk now has 2 broken legs off work for 12 weeks n HSE all over opperation with all associated bad publicity and investigation costs

the cost of doing job correctly and safely looks like a wee drop

Where abouts are you I might be able to recomend a couple of companies for you

Thanks Mogga,

You're absolutely right there. I certainly don't want to endanger our staff.

We're in East Kilbride. I do know of an electrical company which we used in the past but I'll also need to look into someone that can install safety barriers too.

It's either that or change the layout so that the operator can be nearer the wall and hence the electrical supply but that's not the ideal scenario tbh

Thanks

Paul

how i have done similar is to drop 2 x 2 steel trunking mounted in a footplate bolted to the concrete floor. sockets etc. mounted on steel plate bolted to trunking. then self adhesive mini trunking down the outside for data, phone etc. the barriers are for your tame metal worker to construct.

I've seen similar things done by chasing the floor out and running in a duct and covering back over again. But as others have said, if you have forklifts running round in there, you need to make sure the location is safe - i.e. the pallets on the surrounding racking have appropriate caging to prevent them from being pushed off the rack from the other aisle.

To be honest there’s no safe place in a warehouse for a workstation. I’ve seen 6” steel tubes ripped out of 3’ of concrete by FLT’s. I wouldn’t trust your average FLT driver as far as I could throw them.

I once asked a driver what he was doing. “Just getting the pallets in line so it looks neat”. Yes OK it did look neat, pity about the wall he pushed over and the two pallets sat in the yard outside!

BTW I hold a FLT licence.

Reply to Mid-warehouse electrical supply in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net