Min 20A supply to Double Garage | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Min 20A supply to Double Garage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

berniesquash

Hi - Newbie here with a technical question. Not looking to perform the work myself unless it's 'cast iron' not notifiable.

Situation: I have a new build property (completed Nov 2012) with an attached double garage. Power to the garage is currently via a modern CU - 2.5mm TE to a double domestic 13A socket (Radial) and lighting is a separate 6A CU circuit on 1.5mm powering 2 pendants. The 2.5mm cable is simply surface fixed inside the garage and has no conduit or external protection. CU MCB's and RCD are Hager MTN B Types.

Now - I am purchasing a light industrial woodworking bandsaw which the manufacturer recommends running from a 20A supply (I've read elsewhere on the web that other users of this bandsaw have had issues with 13 A fuses rupturing on start up). I would also like to consider installing a 30/32A supply to allow for other future machinery purposes.

What's the best way for me to proceed - as I see it I have a few options:

1. Have the 16A 2.5 mm CU Garage MCB uprated to 20A (I'm aware the 2.5mm TE should be good for 27A) and install a switched 30A Commando as an additional radial socket. Would this be notifiable?

2. Have the 6mm 32A cooker radial extended on 6mm through the garage wall to a new CU / DB. The cooker is a modern double oven with a gas hob and overhead extractor.

Expert views and labour estimates really appreciated!

Many Thanks!

Reply to Min 20A supply to Double Garage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Your kWh figures are giving you consumption averaged over each hour period, but don't give an indication of total instantaneous current. To try...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Cheers guys, enjoyed reading all the responses. I'm an apprentice and it was a conversation that came up at work between two electricians...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Why would you want to fuse them? The RCD should now be a type A plus it is likely you could upgrade the protective device to 20A. What protective...
Replies
Views
I would put this down to 433.3.1(ii) - no overload protection needed because the load at the single socket can't overload the cable, being fused...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Do you know what percentage of scheme registered electricians are registered to sign off 3rd party work? Even better would be a poll of how many...
Replies
Views
nicebutdim
N

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks