Missing neutral... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Missing neutral... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Blair

[ElectriciansForums.net] Missing neutral...

got a call and they said they had a 2 way switch and it stopped working.. after they changed some lights and sockets. The switches them selfs where both trying to switch one light i looked inside and seen the neutral in earth sleeving... but No actual earth was connected "metal faced socket after some tests found out one cable coming in is a switch wire for the first light and the other cable coming from the second cable is live and neutral...

all fixed and corrected now but can someone explain to me...How the hell did they have it working in the first place??

You have three conductors there that could be connected, two browns and a blue, I am sure this would have worked fine.

The neutral is possibly sleeved in green and yellow as its a conductor that is not being used and they have done the sensible thing and earth it which is why you are supposed to do and not just chop it off. I can see an earth there too.

The front faceplate if metal should have a tag to join on to, which you should, but if its screwed into the back box, it will make continuity anyway, so not as bad as it sounds.

My thinking is that you have a brown and blue coming in the back, the brown is permanent live and the blue is the switched live going back to a fitting, and the other brown wire, I would suspect this is just a switched live that would be connected to L1 or L2 on one of the switches, and a jumper from the other brown which should be in COM to the COM on that switch maybe.

Don't forget to sleeve the blue with some brown.

that's what i said when i went in. one light "the one light on its own" was switching and the other 2 did not turn on. but thay said before the builders came in and did the work. the lights worked on a two way switch but i really cant see how it worked? heads baffled

I'd try connect the two Browns to the other side of the switch, so you have the blue in L1 on one side, and the jumper between the commons, and a brown in one of the con I s with the jumper and the other brown in L1 on the other switch, you may have to swap the Browns if it doesn't work one way, try them the other way, what you need is the permanent live in the common with the jumper.

Think he fixed it, just wants to know why it was working before builders changed the fitting with that wiring, but unless we can see the wiring before the builder f:cked it up we will never know
But at lest Mike fixed it and left it nice and safe

i fixed it not the best method...but its safe and works and didn't kill the client with a bill :p I feel bad when it happens to people. they pay alot of money for something and no one tests the lecky..so once all the floors in and tiles are on....then there's a problem and it all has to come off due to a idiot

It's what happens a lot in our trade, builder kitchen fitter plumber think they know what they are doing, after all it's just a light switch or a plug, do it then self get it all wrong ring us up then think we can fix it without ripping out all the nice work they have just finished . If only they had got us in at the begging

very dodgy. everything is rcd protected but the lighting.. its been sorted now had to take a earth and neutral from the same circuit and lucky enough there was a light fitting in a cuboard roughly 5 meters away also extended...EVERY SINGLE CUT EARTH IN EVERY SINGLE SOCKET AND SWITCH :mad: Dont get why people have the need to cut away the earth cable.

Btw random question... in a bathroom everything has to be rcd protected. these old boards that have everything BUT lighting on the rcd would you find it best to put a rcd spur for the bathroom lighting?

very dodgy. everything is rcd protected but the lighting.. its been sorted now had to take a earth and neutral from the same circuit and lucky enough there was a light fitting in a cuboard roughly 5 meters away also extended...EVERY SINGLE CUT EARTH IN EVERY SINGLE SOCKET AND SWITCH :mad: Dont get why people have the need to cut away the earth cable.

Btw random question... in a bathroom everything has to be rcd protected. these old boards that have everything BUT lighting on the rcd would you find it best to put a rcd spur for the bathroom lighting?

Could you not just replace the lighting mcb for a corresponding rcbo? This would then make all switch drops on the same circuit 'up-to-date' concealed in walls/partitions, as well as providing protection to the bathroom.

that's what i said when i went in. one light "the one light on its own" was switching and the other 2 did not turn on. but thay said before the builders came in and did the work. the lights worked on a two way switch but i really cant see how it worked? heads baffled
one of the first things i learned was dont believe what they tell you automatically,for instance if the switch only worked on 1 light in the first place then you have now been conned into rewiring the other lights for free.! Get your tester out and then find what's what

Reply to Missing neutral... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net