Mother says hello and any advice please | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Mother says hello and any advice please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mother

Hello everyone,

I have been reading various posts over the months and hope you lovely people might be able to help,
I am 45, mother to my 27 year old daughter, grandmother to my 10 year old grandson and i live in northampton
I would like to offer my family a better way of live and am looking at emigrating to new zealand, we have been over a few times and love it there.

The downside is to get permanent residency we would need to be qualified electricians, we could go in on a business visa but it means 2 years of uncertainty and stress before they offer PR.
I am looking at various intensive courses and yes i know how you all feel about those lol, however it is only a means to an end, we would only have to work for 3 months in nz under supervision before getting PR, we will not be working in the industry after that time.
We have a profitable business here which we will be selling and hopefully fingers crossed i will be retiring and daughters husband will be working so she will be looking after my grandson and hopefully another one.

after going on the courses, is anyone living in the northamptonshire or surrounding areas available to help us gain experience?
being in business myself i understand how time consuming it can be watching over someone else whilst they are training, i am willing to compensate you for your time and experience and can even offer some work from our business.
i do not want to offend anyone with this post, i am just a mother trying to offer my family a better way of life.
your responses will be very much appreciated.
kind regards
mother

Welcome to the forum. I would imagine the NZ electrical association would only recognise a City & Guild qualification or a BTEC one, I would be totally amazed if they accepted a short course qualification.

I would also imagine they would recognise the JIB grading system as well. If it is like Australia, whichever qualifications you have from the UK, you will still need to do some sort of registration tests over there.

I agree with Malcolm, be very careful which path you choose as you could literally be paying thousands for nothing.

Contact this organisation for advice before you book a thing:

UK NARIC - Home

Although they primarily deal with verifying overseas qualifications for work in the UK, they will advise on the opposite.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I would imagine the NZ electrical association would only recognise a City & Guild qualification or a BTEC one, I would be totally amazed if they accepted a short course qualification.

I would also imagine they would recognise the JIB grading system as well. If it is like Australia, whichever qualifications you have from the UK, you will still need to do some sort of registration tests over there.

Quite simply, you're wasting your time even trying. For a start you would need to be at the very least an approved electrician with five yrs (I believe) experience. One of the blokes that I work with is a Kiwi, so I know that although they might be looking for sparkies they don't just accept any old five day wonder. Also you will not be able to work there as an electrician for a minimum one year - as you will be required to take certain exams. Have you tried hair dressing? Its on the skills list and is safer than amateur electrics.

You obviously do not have any idea of JUST how long it takes to become a COMPETENT sparkie.

thank you both for the above advise, i know that we would have to get the following
City and Guilds 2330
City and Guilds 2382 (new 17th edition)
City and Guilds 2391 (testing and inspection)
City and Guilds 2392 (replaces the old 2400 design and verification course)
City and Guilds 2377 Pat testing, portable appliance testing

NZ health and safety which is a one day course in london and to register with the EWRB for them to assess what exams we might need to take to get a provisional license, which enables us to work under supervision for the 3 months before receiving permanent residence, to receive a full license we would have to work for a min of 2 years in NZ which as i mentioned in my post is not something we would want to do.
NZ does accept the above City & Guilds qualifications but we would need work experience in the UK which is the stumbling block for us.

thank you for your response, we are not looking to work permanently as an electrician, i am hoping to be retired or to start another business but don't want the stress of having to wait 2 years before approval to permanent residency, i am not disputing that to be a competent electrician takes many years, i just wanted to get PR without the 2 year wait and uncertainty.

so your going to **** about being sparks,with no interest in the industry and causing carnage imo just so you can get a move then do something else when you get pr?sorry but thats so wrong on every level,and you wonder why this industry is going down hill

The C&G 2392 is not the old 2400, it's a much watered down, basic testing qualification.

The 2391-20 is the 2400 replacement and like the 2391-10, it sorts the men from the boys.

If you are not a sparky with at least five years experience passing 2391-10 and/or 2391-20 (old 2400) are very low, doing it on a short course probably less than 5% chance. You seriously risk spending thousands of pounds to achieve this. Even good and experienced sparks on here know they only have a 50% chance of passing. They may be classified as level 3 qualifications, but in my experience I have passed far easier level 4 and 5 qualifications in other subjects. 2392 is effectively the short answer questions part of 2391-10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look mate, I don't think that by your post you seem to realize how upset; and cheapened you make our industry look. The electrical industry is the only progressive learning trade out there. Its not something that you just pick up at the drop of a hat, and then ---- aside when its served its purpose. Do you know how many of us in the trade are physically wrecked by the time we're 40?
More than half of us on here have bad backs and poor eye site caused by the job. Thats the sort of dedication thats required to make it in this industry.

In the meantime we are constantly looked down upon by 'suits', who always wanting cheap labour over quality, are the ones who hire foreign workers, who then undercut us.

Look mate, I don't think that by your post you seem to realize how upset; and cheapened you make our industry look. The electrical industry is the only progressive learning trade out there. Its not something that you just pick up at the drop of a hat, and then ---- aside when its served its purpose. Do you know how many of us in the trade are physically wrecked by the time we're 40?
More than half of us on here have bad backs and poor eye site caused by the job. Thats the sort of dedication thats required to make it in this industry.

In the meantime we are constantly looked down upon by 'suits', who always wanting cheap labour over quality, are the ones who hire foreign workers, who then undercut us.

you sure you dont read marx ken....ive just spent all day crawling around on knees,feeling quite sore now..:sick:

Sorry to sound bitter over this , but waht a load a crap! Get in the right way but not by lying that your an electrician.

I thought that it was only me that was sickened by this post. And it got worse at it went on. She obviously didn't like my comment about hairdressing - BUT IT IS ON THE SKILLS LIST.....

Fancy getting all wound up by a Mother.

You children should be ashamed of yourselves lol

I suppose at least it gave the Electrical Trainee's a breather eh? seems to be a select few that get their feathers ruffled quite easily on here;) Perhaps a few spliffs will chill you the chuff out and ease your knackered aching old bones at the same time lol

Same old stuff, different victim and thread!!!

I suppose at least it gave the Electrical Trainee's a breather eh? seems to be a select few that get their feathers ruffled quite easily on here;) Perhaps a few spliffs will chill you the chuff out and ease your knackered aching old bones at the same time lol

im not wound up about it..whats your take on it then....just seems a daft post to me..

And maybe if certain members stopped rotting their brains smoking that ****, then they'd realize why some of us get pee'd off with certain posts. Anyway, must go and argue with another mother now...

Dear Mother.

I have just spent 30 minutes composing a long rambling response to the pros and cons of your suggestion to become an Electrician in order to emigrate to N.Z.

I have confused myself with the complexities you face so I have erased it and instead will say this, with hand on heart (because I applaud your motives) I don't think you can do it, To become a Sparky takes a LOT of Study/work/experience and although you may start a course, once you find out what is involved you may not think its worth it, and if you don't have the interest, you will not qualify, by then you may have spent a lot of money.

If the Sparkies on this Forum can see through you in what, 7 hours, what makes you think the N.Z. authorities will be any slower?

You don't say if you are Married or not, if you are, what skills does your husband have?

If not, buy yourself a round trip ticket and 'forget to come back' it's worked for millions of immigrants over the years, easier to deal with the Authorities when you are 'on site' rather than spending years asking for permission to go, look at all the people who have arrived in the UK in the past few years?
Hopefully(sticking my neck out here) you may meet a nice guy and settle down that way,
Good luck, Best wishes.

If you are a guy, you can forget the 'Dear Mother'.

Hi Roger
Makes a change getting in as a spark Im sure you and me alike have meet our share of ex squadron leaders here in Spain.
Dear Mother.

I have just spent 30 minutes composing a long rambling response to the pros and cons of your suggestion to become an Electrician in order to emigrate to N.Z.

I have confused myself with the complexities you face so I have erased it and instead will say this, with hand on heart (because I applaud your motives) I don't think you can do it, To become a Sparky takes a LOT of Study/work/experience and although you may start a course, once you find out what is involved you may not think its worth it, and if you don't have the interest, you will not qualify, by then you may have spent a lot of money.

If the Sparkies on this Forum can see through you in what, 7 hours, what makes you think the N.Z. authorities will be any slower?

You don't say if you are Married or not, if you are, what skills does your husband have?

If not, buy yourself a round trip ticket and 'forget to come back' it's worked for millions of immigrants over the years, easier to deal with the Authorities when you are 'on site' rather than spending years asking for permission to go, look at all the people who have arrived in the UK in the past few years?
Hopefully(sticking my neck out here) you may meet a nice guy and settle down that way,
Good luck, Best wishes.

If you are a guy, you can forget the 'Dear Mother'.

thank you all for your responses, i did not want or intend to insult or offend anyone, if i did i most sincerely apologise.
i was only looking for options to give myself and my family a better way of life.
i am not a suit but a divorced single mother who over the last 30 years has worked 7 days a week including xmas days on more than one occasion and upto 20 hours a day to provide for my family, so i do know about aching backs, legs and sleepless nights worrying about finances, everything i have i have worked hard for.
due to running the business and getting divorced from a work shy husband to put it kindly i suffered a minor heart attack at 42, 3 years on my health and business have improved but it does make you realise that you only have one life and that time can be very short, that is the reason i was looking for your advice, not to insult your profession. or many years of hard work.
thank you for all your responses, they are very much appreciated, i will go to the local colleges and visit some of the training centre's and hopefully talk to as many people as possible about the chances of passing the required exams, before spending time and money on these courses offered.
again apologies for anyone who felt insulted or offended.
kindest regards
mother

Reply to Mother says hello and any advice please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net