motion detector pir lighting control | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss motion detector pir lighting control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

omega

Hi, can anyone give me some advice regarding the wiring of the motion detector pir's for lighting control.` Iv'e just bought some EBDSPIR-PRM-VFC-NC detectors
but i'm a bit confused as to the wiring. I've uploaded a picture of the connections which incorporate a relay NO, NC . Can anyone explain the wiring configuration
with the use of an overide switch included. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] motion detector pir lighting control
    DSC_0064.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 85
You have a volts free relay by the look of it and supply live, neutral and switch wire out to lamp, over-ride would be common to switch wire, the relay N/O, N/C and COM is for external use to whatever you want i.e. when the PIR triggers the light the the relay switches a remote circuit e.g. it signals a camera to turn to a preset direction amongst many options you could adapt it to ...i doubt you need this option.

This is an educated guess but your instructions supplied should confirm this!

Hi Omega
As mentioned by Darkwood the unit has a volt free relay output. The SW connection is for connecting a momentary switch (if required) to energise the relay output in the same manner that detection would.
However, this facility is disabled on shipping so can be ignored if not required.
Assuming that you want the unit to switch the light on when movement is detected and to then remain on for the duration of the time period and that you have two cables at the detector where:
1. Is a supply (Unswitched).
2. Is a cable going to your light.
Connect the brown (live) from your supply to L with a link to COM.
Connect both blues (neutrals)to N
Connect the remaining brown (to light) to NO.
the CPC conductors must be suitably terminated.

The SW connection is designed for a momentary switch, when switched the unit will switch on and remain on for the duration of the timer unless the PIR is activated where the timer is reset. It may be possible to connect a normal switch to this to get your required override facility, if not it should be possible to put your manual switch contact in parallel with the relay output (com/NO). A third cable is required from PIR to switch for this.

The above explains functionality and assumes installer is qualified and design calcs are carried out and part P requirements are met!!

Last edited:

Reply to motion detector pir lighting control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net