Motor Overload | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Motor Overload in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whazza22

At college I was ask to set the overload of a three-phase motor. I used P=V x I

Do you divide the motors wattage by 3 (as its three-phase) then divide by 230 or do you divide by 400?

The overload protection is always set slightly higher than the FLC of the associated motor usually in the region of 10 - 12%.

What figures did you have to work with???

You do need to do it for AM2, its in the booklet and was told on prep day. Tutor said you have to work it out by dividing the wattage by 3 and then dividing that by the voltage to find current.

When in DOL: Always set the motor overload to motor Full Load Amps, as stamped/etched on nameplate.

When in star-delta: overload over all then to motor FLA, overload in line side to motor only then 58% motor FLA

Never failed me in 16 years of machine control! Rather the overload trip than motor fail catastrophically. Nuisance tripping very unlikely unless motor rated too close to load. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
im with silva fox on this one, set to FLA, or even better set to FLA and carry out running current test, then set slightly above your readings, ive never seen a serviceable motor run anywhere near the FLA on the nameplate in normal operation.

Back in the good old days you put 10 to 12 % on top. But not now. Modern overloads have this factor built in
and I agree with the efficiency

Just out of interest
The designers do a fancy calculation to calculate the fan or pump size, then add 10% (in case of error)
Thats why one of reasons you hardly see a motor doing its full duty
Unless there has been additions to the load

Can you use I = P/V to work out the FLA for a three phase motor if it isn't printed? If so, do you divide the power by 3 because its 3 phase?

i have got 0.63ohms written on my motor for the am2 and ive been told i need to work the overload setting out by a formula what do i do, i have to do it tomorrow

no its not, i was taught the same also. I was taught to measure current with clampmeter, and then set to 110% of that.

if you set according to FLA the windings should be protected

but the motor may be oversized and run well under FLA -so a lower setting could be used as long as nuisance is avoided

Reply to Motor Overload in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net