moving a consumer unit | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss moving a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tygoose

hello all!
new member here and looking for an answer to this question...

have to move a wieredly postioned cu in a small single room. It is about 400mm off the ground??? which i find a bit odd and never seen before. the room is being occupied by 1 year old and the client needs it moved asap. the main incoming is on the other side of wall so extending meter tails will not be an issue. Not checked where circuits cable running but presum running up as it is ground floor apartment/semi house. will be checking tomorrow. If cables are run up and just plastered over any suggestions of how to extract without damage to the right height?

You could fit a plastic 10 way adaptable box ( would put a link on with the ones Im talking about but you can get different ones from all over). Put it where the old cu is, bring the cables through the back, crimp or connector block to some new cable to the new height of your cu.

If the room is going to have a little one in, I would build a box around it aswell. If you have access to the cables under the floor you could also crimp or choc block them and move cu out of the room. Of course without seing the layout, its hard to give a proper response.

Jay

Last edited:
assuming all the cables come from above, i would locate them with a metal detector while still live, then power down and gently chip into the plaster to expose them. if in capping, then cut capping and pull up .

get a few tests done here first......continuity and IR for a start.....a Ze would be good n all....just to satisfy yourself as if thats high.....may be a call to the DNO which is gonna hold you up.......but definately contiinuity and IR....it may be that theres issues with the existing install so all that careful work extracting cables would have been for nowt.....

Thanks for the welcomes and all the advice! In the end went for the removing of plaster and cutting conduit and shorting all cables. Tested and and fitted in no time at all...cheers

Reply to moving a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net