Muting of Leuze MLD 530 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Muting of Leuze MLD 530 in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TF and the wire

I have used this type of safety light barrier on the infeed conveyor to a strapping press. The light barrier has two muting photocells that project beams in an "X" shape across the light barrier. The principle being that as a flat fronted pallet of cardboard approaches, the edges break the beams within 4 seconds of each other and the light barrier is muted allowing the load to pass through. A person trying to enter would not do this and the light barrier would trip the machine.

I occasionally get an error message of U40 "simultaneous muting signals". Could it be that if both beams are broken at exactly the same time, there is a built in safety feature that interpretes this as a possible short between the two photocell outputs?

I have looked through the data sheet to no avail. Has anyone come across this fault?

It would be easy to rectify by altering the crossing point of the beams so that one is always broken before the other.

Hi TF,
For technical support on Leuze electronic products please call the UK technical helpline on 01480 408 500.

If you want help during the Christmas holiday period please call the 'out-of-hours' helpline on 00 49 7021 5730.

There is also a variety of material such as datasheets, online catalogues, videos etc., at Leuze electronic - United Kingdom

From a quick look at some t'interweb literature all I can come up with is;

the cross-beams set-up is classed as parallel muting. Is the light-barrier configured for this on the pins as opposed to sequential muting?

Also... 4 secs seems a long time!

Silva.foxx, it is set up using the pin config for 2 beam parallel muting and works fine 99 times out of 100. If I break one beam, then another within 4 seconds, muting occurs, as it should do. 4 seconds is quoted in the literature and test show it is accurate.

I have watched pallet after pallet go through fine, but every now and then this U40 error occurs. Loads tend to be slightly different shapes, and may be on centre or slightly off centre either way. So long as both beams are broken within 4 seconds, muting occurs. But in the literature it says that U40 is simultaneous detection. So I am thinking that as well as there being a maximum time of 4 seconds, there is also a minimum time.

I have a contact at Leuze who is very helpful and will contact him when I return to work. I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this fault code.

Did you get the 400mSec from the literature. I must have missed it. If so, that will explain the problem.

I'm due in work tomorrow and will move the cross of the X off centre.

Sorry... yes... should have referenced that info (with a correction);

Page 19 of the linked manual... ref 4.4.1 '2-sensor parallel muting'... bottom of first paragraph

"To be able to detect a faulty short circuit of two muting signals, it is necessary to activate MS1 and MS2 with a minimal time difference of 4 ms."

So I was wrong with 400ms... it's only 4ms!

I've never had a course on light barriers but have seen set-up guides where the intersection of muting beams is prior to the light barrier... therefore if you place your foot right at this intersection you can effectively mute the LB, carefully manoevure your tootsies to maintain a blockage on both beams and pass through. Whereas this guide shows the intersection on the 'danger' side of the LB making it difficult to tip-toe through. Never tried to get through though!

Everyday's a school day!

Sorry... yes... should have referenced that info (with a correction);

Page 19 of the linked manual... ref 4.4.1 '2-sensor parallel muting'... bottom of first paragraph

"To be able to detect a faulty short circuit of two muting signals, it is necessary to activate MS1 and MS2 with a minimal time difference of 4 ms."

So I was wrong with 400ms... it's only 4ms!

I've never had a course on light barriers but have seen set-up guides where the intersection of muting beams is prior to the light barrier... therefore if you place your foot right at this intersection you can effectively mute the LB, carefully manoevure your tootsies to maintain a blockage on both beams and pass through. Whereas this guide shows the intersection on the 'danger' side of the LB making it difficult to tip-toe through. Never tried to get through though!

Everyday's a school day!

There cant be many silvas in wales can there ?

Hows the boxers ?

Did you manage to solve the issue with moving the muting sensors. Silva.foxx is quite right in that there needs to be a slight delay (4ms) between operation of both muting sensors to ensure a short between both sensors would be detected. If you need further assistance you can contact Kevin Ellison at head office on 01480 408500 or myself, Gary Hockin on 07889 006613.

Thanks for helping out on the muting of the MLD530. Its an unusual problem and as you rightly say is caused by the 4ms minimum delay between the two signals to check for short circuit. With regards to the layout of muting sensors and light barriers we have a Powerpoint showing the draft IEC guidelines if that would be of interest. If so please email [email protected] and I will reply with the information.

Yes thanks. I moved the intersection point off centre and this has greatly reduced the U40 trips. I suppose that with the different shapes of loads it is inevitable that there will be occasional trips, but it is much better.

Reply to Muting of Leuze MLD 530 in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks