My builder did some additional circuits… | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss My builder did some additional circuits… in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Goody

-
Reaction score
I had a call from a lady today who said, “can you do a PIR for me, it’s very urgent, can you come now?”. When I asked, what it was all about; she said that her builder had done some additional circuits and he could not be contacted anymore for an electrical certificate. She now needs a PIR done.

Sounded dodgy and I just ignored her repeated calls.

A PIR is a PIR, do you know the history of every installation you carry a periodic inspection on? you certainly will not have seen the wiring being installed. Carry out the PIR and charge accordingly, im sure there would have been plenty of remedial work, I thought there was a recession on.

thats it like, carry out pir and say it how it is... but he could of taped joints together or anything that wouldnt show up.... how would this stand....

thats it like, carry out pir and say it how it is... but he could of taped joints together or anything that wouldnt show up.... how would this stand....

So you expose every cable and joint when you do a PIR then do you. There is a clause in the PIR forms i have used to say covered cables etc will not be inspected.

Goody I know you have just passed your assessment and so I understand your a little nervous about it

Just go over things

1.In law your just performing an PIR so as long as your not going to perform an initial verification on the work and issue an EIC then that is you covered, all need to make sure is that you have a little public indemnity insurance

2. It's work son and in today's climate is turning down work a good thing, You may get remedial out of it, you may even get referrals, so don't blankly dismiss it

3. As for the work itself well your self employed so really you can take your time. If your buckled out with work then sub it out to a local lad and tail him around, the only thing with that is he will take over and most likely deal with the client.

If I were you I'd do it, you can always come on here and ask questions, with luck IQ might be on and he will do it virtually over the net for you, all you need to do it take the money and smile

Last edited:
Goody I know you have just passed your assessment and so I understand your a little nervous about it

Just go over things

1.In law your just performing an PIR so as long as your not going to perform an initial verification on the work and issue an EIC then that is you covered, all need to make sure is that you have a little public indemnity insurance

2. It's work son and in today's climate is turning down work a good thing, You may get remedial out of it, you may even get referrals, so don't blankly dismiss it

3. As for the work itself well your self employed so really you can take your time. If your buckled out with work then sub it out to a local lad and tail him around, the only thing with that is he will take over and most likely deal with the client.

If I were you I'd do it, you can always come on here and ask questions, with luck IQ might be on and he will do it virtually over the net for you, all you need to do it take the money and smile

Perfectly true, it doesn't matter who what or when the work was done, you go in and compare the existing installation against the requirements of BS7671:2008.

Use the ESC Best Practice Guide http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BPG4_08.pdf if you need any help with codes and the ultimate assessment of the installation.

Right, what's the address? ;)

Thank you for a great advice. I am nervous, because the way she was urging me and in some cases when we do the PIR and point out things that need doing, she may not be happy and restrain herself from paying me altogether for whatever the job I have done.

Again, she sounded a bit honest; I will give it a try.

Thanks again!

surely, if you are doing a test/inspection PIR, anything you find as non compliant, she will go after the guy who installed it. make it clear that all you are doing is a PIR , and that you can price for any remedial work if necessary.

Go for it Goody.

Take your time and be thorough, you'll breeze it I'm sure and then you'll only be half as nervous on the next one:thumbsup

Good luck, I look forward to seeing a positive update in the near future:)

Hi, you have been asked to do a periodic inspection on an existing installation. Do your periodic report, and if you are registered with NAPIT NICEIC etc it is preprinted that you can only carry out your visual inspection where practical to do so. A PIR is a PIR. IT IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR AN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE and you must note this on your PIR. Charge accordingly your normal price for a PIR

Reply to My builder did some additional circuits… in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net