My dream test bed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss My dream test bed in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: My test bed

IT'S ALIVE.......

[ElectriciansForums.net] My dream test bed

The top picture is very similar to a Rotary Converter and Mercury Arc rectifier set I worked on as an apprentice. It was fun paralleling them up, it was like Nov the 5[SUP]th[/SUP]. Arcs and Sparks.
View attachment 10443
My old friend Rodney.

Now I know Im not the saltiest anchovie in the sea, but,...its a prop isnt it..? Please tell me its a prop.

Middle foreground, left to right..3phase isolation, single, three phase..? How much more exposed could it be.

Is it some kind of resus unit for deep sea divers needing a jump start.

What IS it,man I thought Stalin was scary.

Now I know Im not the saltiest anchovie in the sea, but,...its a prop isnt it..? Please tell me its a prop.

Middle foreground, left to right..3phase isolation, single, three phase..? How much more exposed could it be.

Is it some kind of resus unit for deep sea divers needing a jump start.

What IS it,man I thought Stalin was scary.

If you can follow the drawing, this is how it works

The normal supply would be 6 phase! With special transformers with Zig Zag windings plus inter-phase windings it could be 48 phase from a bog standard 3 phase supply. The more phases the smoother the DC supply.

View attachment 10448

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, that's a real man's piece of kit, Tony. Memories of my apprenticeship come flooding back, I'm getting quite misty eyed for our old switch room. All need it needs is few hundred wet cell accumulators in the battery room next door and I could be back there. One of my jobs as an apprentice was to weekly test and maintain the all the emergency back-up batteries for the site, H&S these days would probably require full anti-flash gear and remote supply BA kit etc, all the PPE I had in those days was industrial rubber gloves, apron, cotton overalls and a cup mask.

Unfortunately what isn’t in a museum has most likely ended in the skip.

Some of you think I’m mad for happily working live, being brought up with this stuff doesn’t make you immune but you get to know what you can touch and what you can’t.

First picture is a paralleling panel for a MAR (mercury arc rectifier) and a Rotary Converter. The wheel in the centre is a manual tap changer for the MAR

Second picture a stepped speed controller for a slip ring motor.

Third picture a basic 3-phase test bed, but where I don’t know.

As it says in the title, it would be my dream test bed!

Unfortunately what isn’t in a museum has most likely ended in the skip.

Some of you think I’m mad for happily working live, being brought up with this stuff doesn’t make you immune but you get to know what you can touch and what you can’t.

First picture is a paralleling panel for a MAR (mercury arc rectifier) and a Rotary Converter. The wheel in the centre is a manual tap changer for the MAR

Second picture a stepped speed controller for a slip ring motor.

Third picture a basic 3-phase test bed, but where I don’t know.

As it says in the title, it would be my dream test bed!

If any of you went to what is now UMIST Stockport campus 35 years ago would recognise some of the gear. It’s still there but non of the students are allowed near it! ****ing HSE again

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the ones. I remember that one of our tests was to wire a DC motor. We had to spin the motor and measure the resistance between the wires to find the armature ect.

Here’s one for you John, it was a 250HP fan. The b*****d thing bit me when fault finding on it. The open type ACB’s tripped just as I was stood in front of them. It tripped at 1250A The armature resistors were cast iron grids
View attachment 10460
Don’t know how well this drawing will come out?

Reply to My dream test bed in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net