Need advise | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Need advise in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tom987

-
Reaction score
I am trying to wire a 12 volt aerator pump into my boat. The pump works fine hooked straight to the battery. My problem is when I try to run it through a switch, the pump works but barely. I have bypassed the switch and hooked it up straight to the fuse block and it also runs fine. My meter reads 12.59 volts at the fuse box and also through the switch. I have tried three separate switches. I can touch the hot wire going to the switch to the wire going back to the pump and it works fine. I'm lost on what to do?

Amazon.com: Marine Metal Power Bubbles 12-volt Air Pump: Sports & Outdoors

Carling rocker switch V1D1 20 amp 12 volt SPST w/red indicator light.

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
I would say you are wiring the power supply to the pump through the indicator light on the switch and this is putting a large resistance in the circuit.
The hot should be to terminal 2 and the wire to the pump going back from terminal 3.
Negative from battery straight to pump.
If you want the indicator to work it will need a negative to terminal 7.

Yep I'm an idiot, that's exactly what I was trying to do. Works great now. Thank you for the timely, accurate responce.

Reply to Need advise in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net