New cooker and notification | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss New cooker and notification in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rossinator

A good friend of mine has run a question by me, but I can't be 100% certain in my reply to him, nor can I manage to quote specific regs, so I open the question to the forum.

He currently has a freestanding gas and electric oven (old skool type with gas oven, electric hobs, and gas overhead grill) and wishes to replace it with a freestanding gas and electric range cooker. The existing oven is already on it's own separate rcd protected 40amp mcb 6mm t&e circuit. There is already an inline 2 pole switch and the oven is connected from a cooker connection outlet.

The question is, is swapping the oven over a notifiable job? I've read in a few places that replacing freestanding ovens (as opposed to built in ovens) are not notifiable, but this could be BS.

The existing oven is already on it's own separate rcd protected 40amp mcb 6mm t&e circuit.

Unless that is method 'C' you are not within the current carrying capacity of that cable by having a 40amp RCD backing it.

I would check on that. If the new cooker is less that 15kw you can with diversity put a 32amp on that 6mm^ much safer. Then you would have to certificate the circuit.

Unless that is method 'C' you are not within the current carrying capacity of that cable by having a 40amp RCD backing it.

I would check on that. If the new cooker is less that 15kw you can with diversity put a 32amp on that 6mm^ much safer. Then you would have to certificate the circuit.

Thanks for that. Luckily it's method B and the new oven less than 11kw, but what you say is very true.

Thanks for that. Luckily it's method B and the new oven less than 11kw, but what you say is very true.

If it's T + E your suppose to use table 4D5 and there is no method B for that, but as there is no method in that table for running in trunking or conduit on the surface then I see you used Table 4D2A. Method B for 6mm^ is 38 amps which is even more reason to change that protection device

If it's T + E your suppose to use table 4D5 and there is no method B for that, but as there is no method in that table for running in trunking or conduit on the surface then I see you used Table 4D2A. Method B for 6mm^ is 38 amps which is even more reason to change that protection device

Well the current carrying capacity of the cable should always be greater or equal to the capacity of the protection device...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to New cooker and notification in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net