New(ish) Member With Salar Panel Clamp Question | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New(ish) Member With Salar Panel Clamp Question in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

iansw

-
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Ian and I am relatively new to the forums, joining due to the excellent source of solar / green energy information. However, I have a question regarding solar panel mounting clamps. An installation by the now defunct Ploughcroft needed panels removing for roof maintenance. However, the panel clamping bolts could not be removed and the bolt heads had to be ground off. Does anyone know who's mounting system Proughcroft used with JA Solar panels?

Please find attached a picture of the clamps. It is a section of a larger photo considerably zoomed in so the quality is not the best but I think that the brackets are clear enough for recognition.

Thanks,
Ian

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] New(ish) Member With Salar Panel Clamp Question
    Solar Mounting Clamps.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 67
That looks like the Renusol clamps.
Depedning upon which end clamp you have, they usually work in the opposite direction to what you would expect, i.e. to loosen them you appear to tighten the screw.
The Mid clamps should just unscrew out.
The end clamp (when loosened) and then be slid (usually jiggled!) off the end of the rail, and the mid clamps cab be carefully levered off from one side.

Which do you have a problem with - the end clamp or the mid clamp? Were you able to insert an allen key into the screw head?

Agreed, looks like Renusol. We had an isolated couple of orders that went out where the bolt locked into the clamp (assume it got cross threaded somehow) and could not be moved, and they needed replacing. It could be possible this happened here?

Worcester is correct, the end clamps have a reverse thread which does throw people sometimes. The newer model of end clamps are normal thread, but it looks like you have black ones there, and the black ones are usually still on the old design.

If you need replacements we have both silver and black versions in stock.

Thanks Guys,

Very helpful info.
It's the middles as the problem section of roof was in the middle of the array. When trying to release them with the correct allen size key it just went round as increasing pressure was applied without releasing the bolt. I suspect that they had been overtghtened with a gun and possibly damaged the bolt hex too in the process. Once the heads had been removed the bolt was free to turn so the threads did not appear to be damaged.
The roofer had been checking with his contacts to see if they had any knowledge of the clamps and he came to the same conclusion, Renusol and was able to source some.

Many thanks,
Ian

Reply to New(ish) Member With Salar Panel Clamp Question in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net