New MFT | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New MFT in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Craigie

Does anyone know for sure that a new MFT does not need calibrating until 12 months after it is brought into service. Some suppliers seem to want to charge for a calibration certificate when it is brand new.

The manufacturers Certificate of Conformity is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase in lieu of a Calibration Certificate and most Part P registration bodies accept this. Note:- The tester must be registered with the manufacturer for the Certificate of Conformity to be valid.

Don't try to extend this 12 month period by not registering the tester with the manufacturer, because the Part P schemes are wise to this dodge and now insist on proof of purchase in addition to the Certificate of Conformity and may check the serial number registration with the manufacturer if there is any doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know for sure that a new MFT does not need calibrating until 12 months after it is brought into service.
Some suppliers seem to want to charge for a calibration certificate when it is brand new

which suppliers? it sounds like they're pulling a fast one mate. find a reputable supplier; you shouldn't be paying for a calibration cert' when the tester's brand new.

I got a 1730 last year my megger was calibrated when it left the factory, thats when the year starts.
So it depends how long its been on the shelf before you buy it as too how long you get.

I think that you will find that the Megger MFT range comes with a certificate of calibration when new. The date is not from purchase but when the test was carried out The problem is that if your meter has been on the shelf for a while you will not get the full 12 months. Discuss with your supplier they may be able to order you one direct from Megger, even if this is the case you may have lost a few days.
One thing to note is that there is no calibration sticker on the meter.
Any meter used to record readings should have a valid certificate of calibration.

on the Megger certificate of calibration there is a box for date commissioned this is when you start to use the meter.

Calibration certificates are not valid for just 12 months

UKAS calibration certificates do not have a recalibration date on them because the manufactures recommend 12 months however it should depend on use

Last edited:

Reply to New MFT in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net