New Ringmain in garage | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New Ringmain in garage in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

666arc

Hi all

Read some really good info from here so thanks for all your efforts.

Can I ask for some further help though ?

Currently have no sockets in my garage so want to add some for tumble dryer, freezer etc so cant do spur.

Thought i'd add new ring main but no free RCD's in consumer unit (have attached pic). However, can I move the macerator from a 16A RCD to the ground floor sockets ringmain and then add the new ring main to the space i've created BUT change the RCD for a 32A one?

Thanks

Andy[ElectriciansForums.net] New Ringmain in garage

As Ezzekiel has said but why do a ring , you can do an A3 radial wire in 4mm and protect by a 32 amp MCB ,save you time and money too

Thanks for the replies.....most useful.

However, noticed yesterday that there is a spare slot in the CU for another mcb so going to stick with the ring main plan and use a 32A mcb and run 2.5mm T&E through heavy gauge conduit into attached garage and round to 3 double sockets and back to CU. Does this sound ok?

Thanks again
Andy

I'd say good luck with pulling 2.5 twin through conduit, especially if its only 20mm, nightmare!!!

As others have said, put in a 4mm radial on a 32amp MCB. Personally i would split the tails and pop in a new 2 way CU and an RCBO from our site sponser, nice and cheap

My advice:- call in a spark!

Please don't think I'm being negative about you or your abilities, but as you can't visually distinguish between a mcb or a rcd, let along a rcbo. You do not understand what a A3 radial is or it's maximum allowable Ib (design current) your not sure about containment, design, placement of circuits, segregation of circuits or special locations regarding the saniflo. And furthermore you cannot move the 16a supply of the saniflow to a RFC as a socket or a fcu can only be rated to 13a

All of this leaves me in the opinion that you are not competent enough to carry out this installation, and that in itself is a direct contravention of the regs, the work you are planning is a new circuit in a domestic premises so you are obliged under part p of the building code to notify this to building control and they will want test results.

Are you competent to fully test your installation?? IR, R1+R2, Zs ??? As this is a major requirement

I'm sure you will understand that no offence is ment by this and I don't mean to insult your intelligence but you will see that we have a duty to bring this to your attention

2 c.u's for one circuit supplying 3 sockets?

Well let's imagine you get a neutral to earth fault in the garage, or nusiance tripping from an appliance or mowing the lawn while you've got the radio on through the garage window and mowing over the radio appliance cable. These can all cause an RCD to trip and if your relying on the one back in your house than for convience it's better to have a separate CU with RCD for the sockets (also what if you want to add lights, more sockets) to avoid inconveincing your house RCD tripping. :)

Opps just spotted i made an error on the post i put in it should read A2 radial not A3 , numpty

ive just spotted lucas' post to you are quite correct , it was a brain to fingers plus dyslexic keyboard error think that should cover it

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to New Ringmain in garage in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net