New SolarEdge Power Optimiser - works with any inverter - UK availabilty? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New SolarEdge Power Optimiser - works with any inverter - UK availabilty? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Brixnmorta

A recent press release states that the new power optimiser will work with any inverter, not just their own brand, product details here http://www.solaredge.com/files/pdfs/products/power-optimizers/se-power-optimizer-opa-datasheet.pdf - I have a requirement for 4 of these to join a WNW string to an ESE string.

Anyone got any info on availability in this country yet? Anyone using the existing versions to interface to an SMA inverter - the product sheet for the existing range implies that they will only interface to a SolarEdge inverter and no one elses.

I am on first name terms with most of there call centre staff now so this is an email from solar edge about new products

these are the pointer he emailed me today.

· A retro fit product coming out around September time which meansyou can us Optimisers with any Inverter.
· SE16000 SE17000 & SE18000 to come out very soon (next monthor two)
· New Optimisers which are half the size of the current ones outin Autumn and IP68 rated
· New Optimisers can be clipped straight to the panel doesn’tneed to go on the rail and if it does go on the rail only one clip is needed.
· New Optimisers will be even more efficient than current ones

Thanks MEP - I'm planning to use the SE power optimisers to connect 4 panels WNW facing to 7 that are ESE facing via the second string connector of one of the MPT tracker inputs of an SMA 4000TL, so I can't wait for the new products to come out later in the year. The thinking behind it is to stop the NWN panels from pulling down the performance of the ESE ones when they are in shade. Do I need the SolarEdge Safety & Monitoring Interface to connect the POs in to the inverter or can I do without it if I can live without the web portal and panel reporting features? Their documentation implies it is mandatory. It is not clear from the diagrams on the spec sheets I have seen. Can you PM me with indicative retail pricing for the power optimiser and the Safety & Monitoring Interface.

i called solar edge up and asked them about the the statement 'no additional interface hardware' on the data sheet and they couldn't give me answer. So i am not sure whether these need an extra 'box' or not to work.

When will the range of Solar Edge Power Optimizer OPA models be available in the UK?
Where can they be purchased from?
Will Solar Edge be reducing both the size of the OPA Power Optimizers as well as the OP Power Optimizers in the coming months?

Last edited:
September
go to sungift solar ask for scott

they have best prices on solar edge .

but why would you want a diffrent branded inverter with power optimizers any way.

a se4000 is cheaper than any other inverter it is the power optimizers that rise the prices

But why would you want a diffrent branded inverter with power optimizers any way?

A SE4000 is cheaper than any other inverter, it is the power optimizers that rise the prices

You are making the assumption that the solar pv system hasn't yet been installed and that power optimizers must be fitted with generic solar edge inverters during installation.

Solar Edge's latest "OPA Power optimizers" can be fitted with non solar edge inverters during or post installation.

Why would anyone want to do that?

In typical situations it wouldn't make any sense, as it is preferential to install Solar Edge inverters with suitable Solar Edge Optimizers at the time of installation.

But there are lots of solar pv systems already installed worldwide in locations with complex shading - not fully appreciated at the time of installation.

Also customers may want to retrospectively extended their solar systems into partly shaded areas on roofs as they expand their solar systems.

These customers may want their solar systems panels to behave independently to stop one shaded panel dragging the overall solar systems output down.

Solar edges latest power optimizers are really useful because they allow people to optimise solar pv panel output with solar panels installed in shaded areas that may not have Solar Edge inverters fitted as standard.

These non solar edge inverter compatible optimisers are due to be released September 2012.

h**p://www.solaredge.com/files/pdfs/products/power-optimizers/se-power-optimizer-opa-datasheet.pdf

Last edited:
what eco is saying is why buy say

16 power optimizers

then not buy a solar edge SE4000???

why buy a SMA 4000TL when it cost more than the SE4000 does not make sense.

and then you have the problem of getting the SMA sunnyboy one when solar edge is online ready

I understand what both of you are saying and I agree but pre emptive judgements on

someone elses situation can be misleading, without knowing the full facts.

MEP, you are assuming the solar pv system that I want to use these optimizers on is big.

What if it is a fairly small system?

What if the solar pv system i intend to use these optimizers on is small?

What if the access to the solar system is very straightforward at close to ground level?

Would it not then make sense, especially in circumstances which Solar Edge dont make

inverters small enough for?

Currently Solar Edge doesnt make inverters for very small solar pv systems i.e 1-1.5KW, do they?

Last edited:

Reply to New SolarEdge Power Optimiser - works with any inverter - UK availabilty? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net