New starter again | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New starter again in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Wozzer

Hi all

im after some advice, please.

its been 35 years plus, since I worked on domestic installs. I did the old 236 electrical course in conjunction with my 5 year apprenticeship.

Yesterday I completed the 17th edition course at my local college.

Anyway my question is, what do I now need to do or get in order to start trading on my own, doing domestic installs and certifying the work.

i don't see the need to join one of these expensive trade bodies or do I need too?

i would appreciate some advice

thanks
wozzer

If you are doing domestic only then you can break it down in to two areas. Notifiable work and non-notifiable work. To view the difference you are best of downloading Part P of the building regs.

If doing notifiable work then you would need to notify your local area building control. You can do this directly with them at a highly inflated cost e.g £300 (per job) or you can register with a scheme such as NiCEIC, NAPIT etc. I'm with stroma as they are the cheapest. By doing this you can register the work through them. I pay £1.80 per job.

In terms of qualifications i'd highly recommend you have 2394+2395. These are the two qualifications that have replaced 2391

Edit: you'd also need public liability insurance. Plus all tools, testing equipment van etc

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Tom

the thing is I can do the practical work with my eyes closed. The thing I'm after is, I believe is th part P and some practical testing to bring me up to date, am I right?

thanks for the info on the trade body info, much appreciated

Kevin

If you are doing domestic only then you can break it down in to two areas. Notifiable work and non-notifiable work. To view the difference you are best of downloading Part P of the building regs.

If doing notifiable work then you would need to notify your local area building control. You can do this directly with them at a highly inflated cost e.g £300 (per job) or you can register with a scheme such as NiCEIC, NAPIT etc. I'm with stroma as they are the cheapest. By doing this you can register the work through them. I pay £1.80 per job.

In terms of qualifications i'd highly recommend you have 2394+2395. These are the two qualifications that have replaced 2391

Edit: you'd also need public liability insurance. Plus all tools, testing equipment van etc

Tom

Tom
i forgot to say thanks for taking the time to comment.

im staggered by the number of courses available and completely confused hat I actually need to start earning again. I'll download the part p requirements and look at the notifiable and not as you suggested.

As mentioned ive just done the 17th edition update and then looked at the multitude of courses available and got lost. I don't really want to spend lost.

thanks again

kevin

Tom
i forgot to say thanks for taking the time to comment.

im staggered by the number of courses available and completely confused hat I actually need to start earning again. I'll download the part p requirements and look at the notifiable and not as you suggested.

As mentioned ive just done the 17th edition update and then looked at the multitude of courses available and got lost. I don't really want to spend lost.

thanks again

kevin

Not a problem. The route I went down initially was the level 2+3 2330, these were the technical certs at the time which have now been superseded. The 2394+2395 will basically prove that you are comment to test on paper. I think it cost be about £1000.

I never got to serve a formal apprenticeship unfortunately as I started training when people weren't really looking for apprentices towards the back end of the credit crunch and therefore missed out on the NVQ level 3 portfolio.This is a practical qualification which proves your practical competence. I will probably do it eventually but I don't really want to spend another £1200+ just so that I can be told I can do something when I already know I can. It'd just be for a JIB card if I ever needed one.

If I was you I'd look to see if you could work as a mate for a few months to get back in to the swing of things or just take on small remedial work maybe. The 2394+2395 is a must in my opinion if you were to go self employed. The latest copy of the regs, on site guide and guidance note 3 should be on your shopping list as well.

Tom

Reply to New starter again in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net