new to the forum, need advice on becoming a domestic installer! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss new to the forum, need advice on becoming a domestic installer! in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sofargone

hello!
I would really appreciate some advice! I have been working for a company in southend, and i was there nic qs. i left them last week.
Just started to get work through a new company doing wet rooms for the council. and I obv need to certify the work myself, I have got the 2392 inspection n test cert and also updated to 17th edition.
After about an hour on the phone to the n.i.c (who i still havent got no idea what she was chatting about!) ive applyed to become an domestic installer in my own name (not like the company in southend!) anyways, she said that i need to give them 2 jobs to assess, which im fine with as ive had 2 assessments before. but what i cant understand is..how can i test and write a certificate if i havent even got my own nic??

any advice would be great, starting to get a bit stressed now! as i wont be able to do anymore jobs untill ive got my own n.i.c sorted!
thanks paul.

You have to go the long and expensive route of getting building control involved, you basically do the two jobs your going to show them, notify building control that major or minor works are being carried out and give them the princely sum of £125 though this varies from authority to authority. Finish the jobs, test as per normal filling out the results on the green certificates, Book an appointment for building control to come around and inspect the works, they will then submit the job as complete and send the owner a cert to prove the works have been signed off by building control. May have missed something but i'm sure people will be willing to fill in the gaps.

Surely it dosnt have to be inspected twice??? my understanding was, 2 jobs one minor one CU change and then inspected by the NIC

job done!!!! you pass,, then the NIC inform LBC

am i missing something????:eek:

Have a word with your NIC inspecting engineer, If you know him well and have a bit of a rapore he might j, ust might be able to swing the QM status to you , but dont go part p go straight for approved contractor I have known instances when this has been acheived

The building control won't properly inspect it most of them haven't a clue as to how electrical installations should be done, at most they will have a look at your cert tell you they haven't got a clue what it means and walk out, this is my experience anyway. It's just so the NIC can see evidence of loop jumping :D , on my first inspection the inspector made no mention of any building control cert. As for the Part P inspectors alot of them are just approved contractors themselves so they will probably understand your plight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to new to the forum, need advice on becoming a domestic installer! in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net