No display on my MFT | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss No display on my MFT in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I have tried to do a live Zs test today with my Megger and there is no display showing.

Do I need to put batteries in it for a live test or does the mains voltage power it?

Cheers:innocent:

I have tried to do a live Zs test today with my Megger and there is no display showing.

Do I need to put batteries in it for a live test or does the mains voltage power it?

Cheers:innocent:

Yes mate it needs batteries to drive the electronics, the circuit under test does not provide power to most modern MFTs unlike the old Robin yellow brick or similar earth fault loop impedance testers.

I think it was Wilkinson where I saw a good deal of Duracell Ultra the other day! 2 big packs for £7 and each pack had extra free as well!

I have a Megger Amp David and yes you do require funcioning batteries to perform live testing.

Its very annoying as they usually fail when you are miles from a shop.

I've got a Fluke 1652 and there is a simple modification you can do so it'll will charge re-chargeable batteries whilst you're doing Live tests.

that is a brilliant idea. which testers have that function? my megger does go through batteries quite fast, although I have been changing them at 10V for the last 3 months, but just recently i've read on here that they are good down to 8.5v ( i think) so i'll be getting my moneys worth out of them in future.
also i get my batteries from ebay, 24 duracell for £7 ish delivered

I think it was Wilkinson where I saw a good deal of Duracell Ultra the other day! 2 big packs for £7 and each pack had extra free as well!

Ok, my bad... Apologies to everyone who's been down to Wilkinson for their batteries... The deal was actually in Asda! Sorry!

Pound Stretcher?! What brand are they?

To be fair, I've had some pretty decent batts from places like that...

Nice one, amp David. Still don't know fully why they don't produce meters that take reachargable batteries, seems a real con to me!

That's where you're wrong mate! My Metrel is re-chargeable! I've been saying for ages they're good kit!

Reply to No display on my MFT in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net