No earth supply to property | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss No earth supply to property in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

HUD

iv been to price a job this morning and come accross this minor problem the house built 1883 needs rewiring but first needs an earth there is no over head lines, the main fuse is a large rewireable fuse no signs of earth connection, havent come accross this situation before im gonna give tech line a call at elecsa on monday and call edf but reading some of the messages on hear its probely pointles. i was under the impression that the meter guys had to take test readings when they fit a meter the property has a new digital meter how he got a test reading iv no idear any
has anyone delt with this situation befoure can it be resulved with an earth rod or is the electric supplyer edf supposed to supply an earth with there electricity

HA thats a laugh i dont think these guys even carry test equipment with them. To answer your question I dont think distrubution companies have to supply an earth to a property, that is up to the consumer, where no earth is supplied the consumer must make adequate earthing arrangments ie Earth electode ect.

Hope this helps

Contact the Distrubution Network Operator, inquire as to the availability of PME. If this is available then you can have (for a small cost) a PME head installed. However, this part of the work is now carried out by the Energy Supplier (or their metering contractor).

no not yet diddent have my testers with me at the time but i will on return i have photos of the head but not shore if they can be uploaded on this site i only joined today

Give it a try....would be nice to see.

When you reply to the thread click on "manage attachments" at the bottom, and then "browse" you should be able to select the photo's from here.:)

hi lenny iv been back this morning toook some test readings first at a socket got 0.71 ohms then at the ccu there is a strandded ally cable with no sheth going up the wall connected to the earth terminal of the ccu. with the ccu turned off and eath loop test taken on this cable it was a ze of 1.01 ohms and pfc of 0.244 a and L-N psc 1.7 a. without this cable connected there is no earth at the bord its imposable to see where this stranded ally cable is attached anyways the readings to high for TN-S so if possable could i with use of an earth rod and a 100ma rcd main sw and make it a tt system or contact edf to try to change the head for pme supply.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] No earth supply to property
    No earth supply.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 164
You might find that "earth" wire you have is clamped onto the water pipe somewhere.

I would definately get EDF on the phone to come out and change that head ASAP....those heads are years old and you may even find a fused neutral in there!!!!

Ask about the possibility of having a PME supply, if not then as you say you'll have to make the install a "TT" system.

I see you will be re-wiring which is a good thing as there's probably no bonding in place either.

no bonding no earths in lighting circuits the sockets have a standed earth but it is ally main fuse is rewirable and neutral has a bar bolted accross if EDF cant do anything quickly is it within the regs to change this install to a tt + if the tests on the socket circuits were sufficient do the sockets need rewiring being ally earth. thanks for your advice

Attachments

main fuse.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 73
    Inside Head.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 96
ye there is a lead sheth and i will test that metal cut out box if there was a decent ze reading from that and this instalation is a TN S but has no earth connection on the supplyers side can i attach and earth and block my self i was under the impression not to tamper with the head to much.

Its only a TN-S if there is a genuine Supply Company earth terminal, with a sweated-on or spring clamp to the lead sheath. If none exists already you must contact the DNO and they will advise. You can NOT install a BS951 earth clamp on to a lead sheath.

Reply to No earth supply to property in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net