No main earth to consumer unit! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss No main earth to consumer unit! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Notaclue

Hello all,

I have just had an electrical installation survey done on my house and there appear to be several problems:

- no main earth to consumer unit (!)
- no RCD protection on bathroom circuits
- needs a new consumer unit
- upgrades to 10mm bonds on gas and water

Hope that all made sense - I don't know much about this! And only lived in the proerty for a year.

I know the lack of an earthing wire is unsafe - are the other problems unsafe or just a bit old? Money is tight so would it be ok just to sort out the earth? It's a TN-S system.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Laura

it may well be that you need only to get the earthing sorted. the lack of RCD protection ought to be addressed if possible. without actually seeing the installation, it's difficult to assess. maybe a couple of pics will help. if you post your location, i'm sure one of us will be close to you and can have a look at it.

yes Tel...it would be interesting to hear on what basis the C/U has been condemned........compromised IP rating/damage.........or lack of RCD.....one of these stands....the other doesn`t.....

Hello all,

I have just had an electrical installation survey done on my house and there appear to be several problems:

Hope that all made sense - I don't know much about this! And only lived in the proerty for a year.

I know the lack of an earthing wire is unsafe - are the other problems unsafe or just a bit old? Money is tight so would it be ok just to sort out the earth? It's a TN-S system.

Laura

Can we see the report?
Can you post a picture of the main cable coming in?
You state it is TN-S, so this would mean that the earth is taken off the sheath of the cable. So no real drama there, but needs to be addressed, and measured.

Hello all,

you should have this issue rectified urgently. This should be regarded as extremely unsafe
As highly desirable as this is, what did the EICR have to say about the presence of suplementary bonding in the bathroom? The 17th edition wiring regs requires additional protection in the form of RCD protection or supplementary bonding (other conditions apply, but this is the basics).
Why? is it damaged?
"upgrade"? this suggests that main protective bonding is present. Is this so? And if so, what size is it? This info should be on your EICR.

Laura

My blue above
Seems odd that you have no earth conductor yet you seem to have mpb.

Hello all,I have just had an electrical installation survey done on my house and there appear to be several problems:Laura

I bet the survey was along these lines

Was this by any chance a "visual only"inspection and carried out by a past energy monopoly supplier where the letters B and G are prominent and who now have the audacity to make attempt at destroying all credibility of recognised electrical testing and inspection procedures and frighten people into having work done that may not be necessary or desirable

Only asking,just in case
[ElectriciansForums.net] No main earth to consumer unit!

Thanks for the replies!
Unfortunately can't upload photos just now, I'm away with work!

Wasn't carried out by "B and G", it was a local friend of a friend type electrician. But I know what you mean - I don't want to have to fork out for the "desirables", just the "necessities" if possible.

Nothing has been condemned, it just says the installation is unsatisfactory. The bond to the gas is 6mm and there is none to the water. I think the gas boiler is fairly new if that could explain why theres mpb there?
The report doesn't say anything about supplementary bonding in the bathroom, just that the circuits need RCD's.

Thanks again

i reckon whats happened here is some guy has seen a `person in distress`.....and has offered up all manner of solutions to the many and varied problems with this install.....all at an inflated price of course.....now it may be that the C/U is damaged ...and needs replacing.......it may be that the main bonding requires upgrading......but it would clear up things somewhat if there was a proper report to go on......i get the impression that some of these `non conformances` have been hyked up.....

Reply to No main earth to consumer unit! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net