No space on CU for Wall Charger connection | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss No space on CU for Wall Charger connection in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I want a wall charger installed but there is no space on the CU. Attached are photos of the CU, Fuse, etc cupboard and panned out view of the cupboards. I have solar panels so would also want solar integrated into the solution. All cables go up into the roof space (bungalow). Thanks for your help.

[ElectriciansForums.net] No space on CU for Wall Charger connection

The white unit marked “solar iboost” can be moved… it’s just hanging on one screw.

The space left may be big enough for a separate unit for the charge point, connected into the Henley blocks under the caution sign.

Alternatively, make the wooden cupboard bigger… there’s space to the right looking at the last picture

When was the PV installed?
They have used a non compatible circuit breaker and it should not be sharing an RCD with other circuits if indeed it is.

The white unit marked “solar iboost” can be moved… it’s just hanging on one screw.

The space left may be big enough for a separate unit for the charge point, connected into the Henley blocks under the caution sign.

Alternatively, make the wooden cupboard bigger… there’s space to the right looking at the last picture
Thank you. That looks promising, provided there is a unit narrow enough to fit in that width. The width is a maximum of 10cm. I could build a housing for another unit to the right of the existing cupboard but is there any limit to the lengths of the connections to the Henley blocks?

Looking at what Westward has mentioned, the breaker marked for the PV is either on the right hand side rcd… shared with the cooker, sockets etc… or it’s not on an rcd at all, just the mcb.

And, it looks to be a Hager brand, which may not be fitting correctly in a CED board.

Get an electrician involved at this stage, because fitting an ev charger is not a DIY job.

Yes, thanks. I always planned to get an EV qualified electrician in but wanted to look at the feasibility first so I could understand what the electrician was going to tell me. So might another option be that the "PV" cables get moved to a new unit and the wall charger gets connected into the space vacated by the "PV" breaker, with the correct breaker of course? Thanks again guys.

Reply to No space on CU for Wall Charger connection in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net