NVQ Level 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss NVQ Level 3 in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys I've been a sparks for a few years now but I've never finished my Nvq I've done 85% of it now using photos but for the last little bit I want to use just witness statements as I've done it all many times but my assessor said I can't and the time I've got left to finish is running out but I'm sure I can just use witness statements does anyone know for sure cheers

Yes you can mate. My college said pictures are worthless there's no evidence that you actually did the work! I was surprised by this as lots of other colleges say you need pics. Witness statement is nice and easy you can write it, ticking off the objectives as you write then get your boss to sign it if they agree with it all - e.g "I erected barriers when changing a socket cover" lol

ps - if your assessor says you can't then i wouldnt. Didnt read that in the OP! I think city and guilds are cool with it though seeing as my college say it is OK. Maybe call them direct.

Isn't it faster to just take pics instead of writing a long convoluted witness statement?! Unless you haven't actually done the work....! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
well...its witness statements AND photos at the college i`m at...but it is acceptable to just have witness statements if no photo is available.....what we were told is the BEST evidence is for the assessor to be present while evidence is being gathered.....but if this isn`t possible then photos are acceptable accompanied with witness testimonies/statements ..oh and by the way....you CAN do a self testimony as well....now i know this as someone i know has done so.....doing a nursing NVQ in the NHS....
so this guy who told you different is talking crap.....

I've just done an EICR on a 300 room hotel with an apprentice (3 months of testing and fault finding) and wired a school using trunking , conduit ect in the holidays and didn't think to take any pics I just thought the guy was being a bit of a jobs worth as I can get my foreman my project manager and the owner of the company to do a witness statement saying I'm competent Cheers Mike

I've just done an EICR on a 300 room hotel with an apprentice (3 months of testing and fault finding) and wired a school using trunking , conduit ect in the holidays and didn't think to take any pics I just thought the guy was being a bit of a jobs worth as I can get my foreman my project manager and the owner of the company to do a witness statement saying I'm competent Cheers Mike
well...look at it like this.....in this case a witness statement from the above mentioned will hold weight....get all three to sign it....that will shut Mr `oh you cant do that` up for good....

all these NVQ assessors think their gods gift...look, the NVQ assessor i have failed to spot a neutral coming down the outside wall from an overhead that had been cropped off about 6" from the ground at a house i was at with him (will have been a redundent PNB)...they had replaced this with a neutral link at the service head....so i said that needs sortin as if the supply neutral goes for any reason...well you can guess.....anyway...his answer was to wrap a bit of insulation tape round the cropped end..lol....so i said no and rang the DNO who came out and sorted it...thanked me n all for brining it to their attention...

all these NVQ assessors think their gods gift...look, the NVQ assessor i have failed to spot a neutral coming down the outside wall from an overhead that had been cropped off about 6" from the ground at a house i was at with him (will have been a redundent PNB)...they had replaced this with a neutral link at the service head....so i said that needs sortin as if the supply neutral goes for any reason...well you can guess.....anyway...his answer was to wrap a bit of insulation tape round the cropped end..lol....so i said no and rang the DNO who came out and sorted it...thanked me n all for brining it to their attention...

I dont think that i am god! And yes i am an NVQ Assessor. I do my job properly, and assess against the standards that are required. Anyone doing an NVQ can use a whole variety of assessment methods, it is up to the candidate to decide what and how they will gather evidence, the assessor should advise on how is the best way to use the evidence towards the qualification. The possible ways of gathering evidence is almost limitless, and as long as it can be proved one way or another that is authentic, then it is acceptable for inclusion. All you have to do to complete an NVQ is provide knowledge, by answering knowledge questions, and show evidence of performance by meeting the assessment route summaries by the most convenient way possible.

As for your assessor not seeing a cable dangling down, i agree he gave you bad info, but he is not there to assess the condition or faults within the installation, he is there to assess you.

Dont tar us all with the same brush, i dare say you are not perfect either, i know i aren't.

Cheers............Howard

I dont think that i am god! And yes i am an NVQ Assessor. I do my job properly, and assess against the standards that are required. Anyone doing an NVQ can use a whole variety of assessment methods, it is up to the candidate to decide what and how they will gather evidence, the assessor should advise on how is the best way to use the evidence towards the qualification. The possible ways of gathering evidence is almost limitless, and as long as it can be proved one way or another that is authentic, then it is acceptable for inclusion. All you have to do to complete an NVQ is provide knowledge, by answering knowledge questions, and show evidence of performance by meeting the assessment route summaries by the most convenient way possible.

As for your assessor not seeing a cable dangling down, i agree he gave you bad info, but he is not there to assess the condition or faults within the installation, he is there to assess you.

Dont tar us all with the same brush, i dare say you are not perfect either, i know i aren't.

Cheers............Howard
sorry Howard....didn`t mean to cause offence....
look, i would not question an NVQ assessor....it just struck me as odd that he hadn`t spotted the ..well obvious really in the scenareo mentioned above....and i`v heard numerous storys about assessors for this, assessors for that and`t other that get it wrong....

Reply to NVQ Level 3 in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net