Oh no not ammendment 3 again | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Oh no not ammendment 3 again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Arms
Reaction score
1st day back at work today after a long lay off nothing much to do so the internet beckoned. I decided to have a look at Amd 3 and was amazed at some of the disinformation coming from some of the Distribution board manufacturers, I read and printed off a copy of amd3 from the IET and it clearly states " domestic consumer unite shall be made of non combustible or a not readily combustible material " Where as virtually the same document from a well known distribution board maker (beginning with H~~~r) saying that the domestic CU must be made from NON COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL scare mongering or what?. I appreciate it's a work in progress but someone ought to take these people to task, we should wait until Ammendment three is ratified before jumping to conclusion, what are your thoughts?

its a shambles , picture this..........

after the introduction of the 17th regs virtually everyone in the UK was rushing round to get the new fangled dual rcd boards fitted in their gaff , millions have been slung in , nearly every one plastic.
just as this near monumental task is nearing completion , latest regs now imply - " sorry , should be metal"

Quite frankly , the word on the street is that bs7671 are stepping beyond their remit in any way trying to dictate what kind of product gets fitted , and secondly , the construction worthiness of a product should remain solely under the jurisdiction of the British Standards committee and not the dithering duffers at the IET sticking thier oar in.

;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
its a shambles , picture this..........

after the introduction of the 17th regs virtually everyone in the UK was rushing round to get the new fangled dual rcd boards fitted in their gaff , millions have been slung in , nearly every one plastic.
just as this near monumental task is nearing completion , latest regs now imply - " sorry , should be metal"

Quite frankly , the word on the street is that bs7671 are stepping beyond their remit in any way trying to dictate what kind of product gets fitted , and secondly , the construction worthiness of a product should remain solely under the jurisdiction of the British Standards committee and not the dithering duffers at the IET sticking thier oar in.

;-)

Isn't BS 7671 a British Standard Biff??? only saying

the IEE as it was then, in the 90's, made the wiring regs. a british standard in order, so they said, to stop johnny foreigner interfering with our wiring regs. suddenly, in the early 2000's , they then decide to allow said johnny foreigner to alter the wiring colours from what has been used from the year dot, to stupid indistinct, nondescript shyte. so much for british standards.

1st day back at work today after a long lay off nothing much to do so the internet beckoned. I decided to have a look at Amd 3 and was amazed at some of the disinformation coming from some of the Distribution board manufacturers, I read and printed off a copy of amd3 from the IET and it clearly states " domestic consumer unite shall be made of non combustible or a not readily combustible material " Where as virtually the same document from a well known distribution board maker (beginning with H~~~r) saying that the domestic CU must be made from NON COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL scare mongering or what?. I appreciate it's a work in progress but someone ought to take these people to task, we should wait until Ammendment three is ratified before jumping to conclusion, what are your thoughts?

Pete, you as regular reader of these esteemed forums, I'm suprised you haven't already seen the thread about this bollox.
The conclusion was, that it's bollox.

.....it clearly states " domestic consumer unite shall be made of non combustible or a not readily combustible material
Why don't they just state the existing British (or ISO) Standard of non-combustibility that would be suitable? Surely that would prevent a lot of confusion?

NIC in their wisdom have been spouting that the only way to comply will be sheet steel.....sounds like a load of sheet to me. It would be infinately more sense if the IET introduced an amendment outlawing single screw cage clamp terminals on main switches and making deep tunnels with two screw terminals standard. CU enclosures could then be made of kindling wood and there still wouldn't be any fires.

That is vaporization of zinc; one that comes up in welding, don't weld galvanized.
Yep, vapourizing zinc is a severe health hazard on its own but the biggest problem is often when the steel becomes hot enough for the zinc coating to liquidize or melt it then runs off and drips over anything in the vicinity causing those things to spontaneously combust.

Reply to Oh no not ammendment 3 again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net