Oil Pipe bonding when pipe is not visible | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Oil Pipe bonding when pipe is not visible in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

edrobbo8

Hi,

I have a customer who needs a CU upgrade, the water pipe is bonded ok but the oil pipe for the boiler comes in underneath the boiler and is not visible and could not be touched, what happens about bonding in this case? I believe it needs bonding but does anyone have any proof of reg? Was going to IR between it and the MET to work out if over 22kOhm and prove if it is extraneous.

Thanks.

If it's not visible and can't be touched how are you going to do the test?

If it does need bonding but you can't get a clamp on it then try this.
Test between either the flow or return pipe from the boiler to the oil pipe. If the continuity is less than 0.05 ohms then put your bond on the exposed pipework and note it as a departure on the EIC form.

Hope this helps.

I was going to remove the boiler covers to get into the guts of it and see if it is inside, as there is no entry visible on the outside of the boiler!

Just earth the boiler at the oil intake. If it's the only bit of the oil system that can be touched then other than a Kango how can you get around it.
Regard the oil pipe if it’s in the concrete as part as an Ufer system.

You should be able to see the 10mm oil pipe once you remove the front panel. I had to bond an oil boiler a few weeks ago and it was a pig, with only a few inches down the r/h side in a boiler cupboard. Had to remove the side panel too, but all accessible with the use of a screwdriver.

How do you bond to a 10mm oil pipe what fittings do you use

Tried many things, including earth electrode fittings with the "hole" drilled out to 10mm but have to say that the best overall result was on new pipework with a copper tag soldered onto the oil pipes.
If this isn't possible, then a standard earth clamp does work fine if you are careful not to over-tighten it. Also, you get the correct tag on it to BS.
I can't believe that there isn't a proper clamp for 10mm....

Reply to Oil Pipe bonding when pipe is not visible in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net