Oil pipe bonding | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Oil pipe bonding in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NG1965

Hello, new to this posting malarky. I've been asked to look at an installation that was never signed off by the council, I spoke to the building inspector and we agreed a course of action, however I have an issue that I can't find an answer for in the books (not to say that I haven't missed the answer)

Customer has an oil tank 20m from house which has it's own earth rod and connection which is sound? I spoke with a tanker company who said that this was for the tanker to 'ground' on delivery. My question is I presume I will still have to bond from the CU? Supply is TT.

Thanks, Neil

apparently the NICEIC think it only needs bonding if it's connected to a boiler! my view is that you have to determine if the metal pipework is an extraneous conductive part. do an IR test from the main earth terminal to the metal pipe inside the house. if the reading is >22kohm, it's not extraneous and doesn't require bonding.

Hello, new to this posting malarky. I've been asked to look at an installation that was never signed off by the council, I spoke to the building inspector and we agreed a course of action, however I have an issue that I can't find an answer for in the books (not to say that I haven't missed the answer)

Customer has an oil tank 20m from house which has it's own earth rod and connection which is sound? I spoke with a tanker company who said that this was for the tanker to 'ground' on delivery. My question is I presume I will still have to bond from the CU? Supply is TT.

Thanks, Neil

As this bulk fuel oil storage tank is already grounded via it's ground rod, it's pipework entering the building, will almost certainly be ''extraneous'' in that it will be under 22 Kohm. So yes, any metallic pipework entering the building should be bonded in the usual manner!!

Reply to Oil pipe bonding in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net