Ok, this is weird... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Ok, this is weird... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok, so I was just in the kitchen about to make pancakes...

Supply Type: TNC-S - 100A BS1361 Type 2
Main Earth: 16mm (Polarity confirmed and external earth etc.)
Bonding: Gas and Water 10mm (Continuity verified)
Tails: 25mm
Consumer Unit: 17th Edition, dual RCD, everything is RCD protected

Cooker: Free standing gas oven and gas hob, wired into cooker plate at rear of oven, controlled by old wylex cooker control unit. Ignitor and clock only.

Ok, so this is what happened, I turned the knob on the gas to make it come out...

I pressed the sparker, then beep beep beep...

The Mrs and I think, what the hells that?

Hmm, I said you press it and ill look...

anyway, a new toy from the kids birthday the other day, it was literally just touching the radiator pipe.

Now the toy is plastic ok, see photo below, and this is it touching the pipework.

The beep beep beep is the sodding toy, no way, I don't believe it you say, well its only a calculator that looks like a cash register.

Hmm, whys it doing that? scratching head...

I move the toy, the beep stops, I move it back, press sparker thats on the oven in the kitchen, and sure enough its beeping again...

Ok, so I have absolutely no idea whats going on, its like there's some kind of static build up onto the pipework or something?

Any thoughts anyone?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Ok, this is weird...[ElectriciansForums.net] Ok, this is weird...

I fancied pancakes ok... LOL. I rarely eat them and had an urge.

I was thinking of getting the tester on it tomorrow if i get chance, but it was just making me think, is there some voltage in the pipework that shouldn't be?

Incidentally, the cooker kept relighting its self a week or so ago and behaving oddly. I am sure its knackered.

We are moving once we have found a new house to buy anyway, so not overly bothered, but wasn't expecting the kids toy to start beeping when lighting the hob.

I'd suggest you stop gawping at it and get the tester out to find out why the igniter is apparently putting power into the rads in one form or another.

A good 3kv plus to produce a spark.....just like the first radio transmitters, which had no defined frequency in low bands 1khz to 60mhz.....would suspect this kids till has crude rfid plastic cards to check in, working on 125khz....and your bonding is a great aerial with the water pipes...bet your daughter will charge you £25 for those pancakes....lol

Definately RFI in my opinion,a lot of things can cause it,When you work in hospitals some of them actually specify certain types of equipment that you are not allowed to use as they can play havoc with the equipment in intensive care,certain types of welder spring to mind.

Definately RFI in my opinion,a lot of things can cause it,When you work in hospitals some of them actually specify certain types of equipment that you are not allowed to use as they can play havoc with the equipment in intensive care,certain types of welder spring to mind.
...going back to the early 90's,i had a yard in Trafford Park,Mcr,and was repairing the pallisade fencing around it,using a HF welding set powered by a 2 cyl Lister LR. It was noisy enough on the engine side,but made a lovely high pitched scream when struck-up. All the staff from buildings on each side would come out when i fired it up,in what i thought was a collective admiration of positional welding....turns out all the phones and IT spewed it when the welding started! Sold the welding plant to a fella who worked on the London Underground as he said only a few units were approved for use there,and that was one.

Reply to Ok, this is weird... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net