old installation, only 1 set of cables. | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss old installation, only 1 set of cables. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

My apologies, I didn't realise "nothing was burning or getting hot"

Amazing, do you have kids in there?

best thing is get your semi retired mate to give it a once over. do a PIR for you. then you can be more confident. really do reckon that antique switchgear has to go though, even though it's nice and shiny. OH!, and there's some funny little gadgets available now called Residual Current Devices.

Last edited:
Yep 2.5mm T+E with 1.0mm cpc? zs reading at each socket, main bonding to the water and gas? metal switch back boxes and metal screws? under sized tails? undersized earth?

i didnt do the additions, people who did the dormers got a spark to add the upstairs electrics. To be honest, if something was really wrong, surley the fuse wire (which is wire not a nail) would blow? also since most of it is old as in 1965-1975 if anything was really wrong or faulty wouldnt this have cause problems befour now? fuses are right size wire. also no kids in house.

no kids. but your cat could get electrocuted, and, to be honest, there ain't enough meat on a cat for a half decent curry

Don't forget to use the 'thanks button' Rabu, again, you've had some good advice here!

ok, i know what some of you are saying. new CU and rewire, maby a new CU sometime but as for rewire, not now, money right now is very thight. however the sockets iv been swapping are cause they have been damaged, as in cracked by furniture, vac... and thanks again to the people who answerd my origionl question about the style of wiring. Thanks.

Without regular testing you can not be sure that there are definetly no exisiting faults, over the years various extra work may be carried out, everything will work and everything will seem ok. Can you be sure for example that the earth on your power circuits are continuous. Some sockets potentially may not be earthed but will work fine, what would happen if you pluged a metal toaster or hoover into this socket and that appliance had a live to earth fault. You can only be sure that everything is safe by testing after each addition. The question i should be asking is have you got test results from when the additions were carried out, if you havent it would be worth getting some tests done now and not waiting untill there is an accident.

Reply to old installation, only 1 set of cables. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net