OLD OLD industrial busbar trunking. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss OLD OLD industrial busbar trunking. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Symonkey

Hi all,

I am having some concerns over some busbars in a factory I am working in. They must be 30+ years old. The are 3ph+n. My concerns start with the fact that there is no data plates to be seen. So no manufacturer or ratings no nothing.

My second concern is with the earthing.... The feed for the busbar is 25mm or 35mm but haven't checked 4 core. Therefore using the armour as earthing. It uses the metal casing as the earth throughout and inside the tap off unit there is no earth terminal so in order to connect them you have to drill a hole a scratch away the paint and then bolt through. Not good when we have 100amp supplies to machines in places.

My third problem is insulation - the busbars are Exposed in places and only covered by a slot in piece of plastic. Which many of are missing.

My problem is not the fact that they are there and in use but the fact I am being told to carry on connecting to them. In my opinion they are out of spec and should be left alone or removed/updated.

I have some pictures if someone could either post them or try to identify them. I am on my phone today so cannot put them up myself.

Any help or advice would be fantastic.

Oh - they have fuse holders that do take bs88 as way of protection.
S

If the busbars can maintain the load, then you only have to give protectiion. I've done loads of old busbar containment, usually they are are way over engineered for power consumption. But not up to present day standards regards safety or earthing. It's fairly simply to do, mild steel plates to cover, and brass bolt lugged earthing is all thats required

I've done jobs with big and I mean big busbars, scrapped for no good reason, all they needed was modyfying....and hey ho we have a ton of busbar for the scrap man...nice for us, but what a dim wit whom wasted £5k

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to OLD OLD industrial busbar trunking. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net