Old qualifications equating to modern day equivalent | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Old qualifications equating to modern day equivalent in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I am wondering if anyone can help me. I served my apprenticeship a long time ago 20years approximately and on completion I gained an HNC in Electrical engineering, an ONC in Electronic and Electrical Engineering from college. From my work place I was assessed by EnTra and issued with an EITB qualification with various modules and levels passed.

I am wondering if anyone knows what these would equate to nowadays. I have been practicing electrical work mainly in the maintenance side factories, installations and commissioning, offshore installations, all types of electrical work.

Any help or information would be appreciated

i'd think with your quals., all you need is 2382 ( 17th ed, wiring regs.) and maybe 2394/2395 if you want to apply for jobs requiring test/inspection.

Upvote 0
Yes they are recognised. They are the modern equivalent to what's called the technical Certs. You need technical Certs , Nvq3 and sometimes AM2 to be a recognised spark in the eyes of the JIB.

Upvote 0
Hi andyb,
Im in the same boat as you, I qualified in 1992 after a 4 year apprenticeship in a papermill doing electrical maintenance, I also passed my BTec NC at college, however I never worked in the industry again. I kept my hand in doing odd rewires and jobs for mate over the years and have built quite a few valve amps, just a hobby like.
My certificate after the 4 years was from ENTRA. Im now in the process of trying to update my quals so I can start working again, probably just domestic and commercial, however I approched several colleges and training centres and no one has heard of the qualification. Some are suggesting I do an apprenticeship again for 3 years or so, others are happy to take £3000 and say ill be qualified in 4 weeks. Its quite frustrating as I feel I am competent enough and just need a my 17th edition and inspection and testing and would have the confidence to get going.
I hope you get sorted mate, as yet ive had no definate answer as to how my old quals relate to current ones. Surely 4 years apprenticeship and BTec must still count for something.
Good luck mate.

Upvote 0

Reply to Old qualifications equating to modern day equivalent in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net