Old storage heater spurs | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Old storage heater spurs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ajaybhadresa

Hi there,

I was wondering if you might be able to help with a query. I've recently removed some storage heaters from my flat and am replacing them with electric panel heaters instead. The old storage were connected directly to individual spurs. Am I right in thinking that these spurs are on a different circuit to make use of the off peak electricity? I was wondering if it was possible to convert these spurs into ordinary plug sockets and if so, is it something that I could do? Or is it better to get an electrician in to do so?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, I have approved your thread in the general forum for a faster response, when admin' is next about you may be given DIY access and the thread relocated, this will not effect any posts made.

There are various ways in which the power can be supplied to storage heaters.
One common method is for the incoming supply to the circuits to be on only during off peak times, if this is the case then you will have a separate consumer unit (fuse box) for the storage heaters.
An alternative is that the storage heaters are on a permanent supply and individually controlled by timers, which should be obvious.

The conversion of these radial circuits into sockets is normally possible but it does require a significant change to the supply arrangements and the circuits will almost certainly not have 30mA RCD protection which is now required for sockets (and most circuits), very definitely not a DIY task I am afraid.

Last edited:
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your swift reply. I think they were all on a separate consumer unit as they only seemed to function during off peak times.

I shall definitely get an electrician on the case.

Thank you for your help.

There are various ways in which the power can be supplied to storage heaters.
One common method is for the incoming supply to the circuits to be on only during off peak times, if this is the case then you will have a separate consumer unit (fuse box) for the storage heaters.
An alternative is that the storage heaters are on a permanent supply and individually controlled by timers, which should be obvious.

The conversion of these radial circuits into sockets is normally possible but it does require a significant change to the supply arrangements and the circuits will almost certainly not have 30mA RCD protection which is now required for sockets (and most circuits), very definitely not a DIY task I am afraid.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your swift reply. I think they were all on a separate consumer unit as they only seemed to function during off peak times.

I shall definitely get an electrician on the case.

Thank you for your help.
i'm free ! (free meaning available, not that i work for nowt .lol).

Reply to Old storage heater spurs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net