old storage heater usage | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss old storage heater usage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

akhinn

DIY
Reaction score
Hi ,

I moved into a quite old house with old storage heaters.
Hoping that I`ve googled it right , it shall be unidare storage heaters ums 718 93.
Also attached its photos.

Apart from that I have Economy7 meter with day rate ( rate1 ) and night rate ( rate2)

As I am very new to storage heaters :

1. When shall I turn it on and off ? Or shall it be on all the times ?

2. Output knob at midpoint and input knob close to midpoint telling me that , it will be releasing the heat mainly
between afternoon and evening. Is my understanding sound right ?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] old storage heater usage
    storage heater settings.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 38
  • [ElectriciansForums.net] old storage heater usage
    storage heater.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 30
With storage heaters it depends on your work pattern.

The basic principle is that night time electricity is cheaper than day time electricity, so the heaters heat up for a few hours each night, and slowly release this stored heat throughout the day.

It's usually best to set the input on full, or near to full, to store as much heat as possible.
If you're out at work all day, then you should set the output to minimum. The output works by opening a flap to let the stored heat out. If the heat is let out too quickly, there will be little left in the evenings to keep you warm.

If you're at home all day, and work nights, then the opposite would be true.

Some storage heaters also have a daytime boost element which uses electricity at normal rate and can be expensive to run.

With a bit of trial and error with the settings you should be able to get it right.

To answer point number 1. It's usually best, at least in autumn and winter, to leave them on all the time, as they only heat up between 12am and 7am.

Reply to old storage heater usage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net