Outdoor socket/Outdoor spots tripping RCD help | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Outdoor socket/Outdoor spots tripping RCD help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Simon_

A friend of mine has an outdoor IP socket that is wired from the garage from a double switch with SWA cable ( red/blue/yellow) that goes to a metal conduit junction box with relevant glands fitted in the garden. A cable then goes out of the 2 way box to 7 outdoor lights. One switch in the garage for the socket which powers a plugged pond pump the other switches the spots on. Next to the double switch is a 3 way fused socket on one side and the other a single switch fcu for the double switch. All 3 seem to be connected to the house ring MCB as when you switch off the garage MCB the spots still light up. At this point i will add that the IP socket has been lying on the ground under rocks and was pretty damp when i uncovered it including the plug inside the IP socket. I dried out the socket as much as i could. Here's where the problems start. When you switch only the outside spots on its fine. When you switch on the socket on its own or with the lights, after approx 5 secs it trips the RCD even with nothing plugged into the socket. Do you think damp may still be the issue here? I also noticed that the flex going into some of the spots is cracked, that could also be an issue. He has had the pond and lights working for 5 years up to this point and this problem only started 3 months ago so there is signs of wear and tear somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

As above, a quick IR test will soon let you know if there's any dampness present, the IR value will be very small if that is the cause of the tripping RCD.

Reply to Outdoor socket/Outdoor spots tripping RCD help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net