Outside lighting and board | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Outside lighting and board in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Peter Woodford

Guys,

been to see a job the woman just wants a dimmer switch fitted in her bedroom. I take it i don't need to do a mw cert for this and how much would you charge as will only take 5 mins and its only 10 doors away. She also said later on she will want some outside lighting. In the shed she has a old fuse board which is backed up by a rcd in the house. The board in the shed only has 4mm ran to it as very sort run and supplies 2 single sockets and 1 light said i would break into the socket circuit and put in a switched fused spur come out of shed and fit in 2no light posts would then do a mw cert for addition to circuit but was wondering about the old fuse board do i need to carry out any tests on this ( has fuses). If there is a spare way on this board will run new circuit from there for lights

cheers

Sounds fine, as long as you do a proper inspection of the old CU and its sound, and all tests prove ok:)

Up to you how much you charge for the dimmer.

As its only up the road maybe 30 squids.

Dont do it too cheap or she'll expect the rest to be cheap.

Good luck.

Interesting comment.

So you think approx £10 for a decent dimmer and £20 to do the job expensive?

No wonder our rates are shot to pieces.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, the other day an old lady phoned me to change her dimmmer to an ordinary switch because someone told her they set on fire in the middle of the night:confused:

I told her because i was working in the area i would only charge her £10 (bit of beer money)

She said she would get back to me:eek:

Never heard from her.

A word of advice

Always be on guard when customers ask you to look at another job while you are doing or pricing small works etc

This happened to me some time ago, I was asked to remove a burglar alarm system for a lady that was having their house decorated, it took approx an hour as I had to remove sounders (x2 high level) and remove supply to panel as well as metres and metres of mini trunking running to PIR's around the large property.

When I got started she said would you be interested in fitting a new one once I have finished decorating? Ideally I want a wireless one (eyes lit up!) I promised to send her a written quote (although according to her as long as it was under a certain figure it would go ahead) I charged nothing to remove the old system as I was going to be part of the quote.

Spent several days researching systems and ringing round and found a great system and as it would only take approx a day to fit put a quote together enclosing prices of parts etc and typing out and personally drove ten mile to hand deliver it to her!

suffice to say never heard from her lol so I gave her a ring to enquire and she said her (male) friend said I should be ashamed of myself as he fitted a bandq special in a day and it was easy to do and came to a third of what i quoted!

Some people eh

And then all the free jobs soon add up, and they will then expect 'free' EVERY time.

Rod and back springs to mind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not necesserely it could lead to bigger jobs that you will get paid for and to her recommending you to other people . I did say i think i would do it for free i didnt say anyone else had to .

Reply to Outside lighting and board in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net