Outside Lights only work when energising breaker after a delay? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Outside Lights only work when energising breaker after a delay? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

walec

Hello All, I have just replaced an outside bulk head light for two PIR flood lights, looped from first light to second. All was fine, working as they should until the customer called me to tell me they were not working. Turned the breaker off and on for a quick check, sure enough not coming on when initially energised. Did not have my tester with me so checked power to lights with probe, 230V not problem. Turned the breaker off for a few physical checks as I bypassed the switch inside so they could not be turned off manually at the customers request, all connections seemed fine. Turned power back on they worked...waited for them to go off, turned power off and on did not come one, turned power off waited a few minutes, turned it on and they lit up. So basically if you turn the breaker for a few minutes and then on, they will work on the initial surge. I will go back with my tester tomorrow and test properly but I have not seen anything like this before! any ideas? Thanks

Can you give a link to the floodlights you installed.

I know some PIR units toggle between auto mode and manual override mode when you cut the power and reapply it withing a certain time frame.

Apart from following your testing process when you have your tester I would suspect the PIR. I have had a couple of faults on units I have put in recently. Also they did not all follow the process suggested in the instructions. e.g stand on your left leg while holding a cup of tea and flick switch three times to turn on, perhaps.

Definitely check the installation instructions for how it goes about setting up and what modes it goes into when turning on and off at different times.

If you are using 300W lamps in a fitting designed for 230W lamps then you may be overloading the components, though they really should over design slightly.

Very unlikely (but I suppose not impossible) to be PIRs as both lights operate together. As Richard says, have you carefully read the instruction sheet? Some have manual override, test functions, and or sensor settings based on how many times and how quickly power is switched off and back on.
When you say "probe" do you mean a twin probe voltage tester, or a neon screwdriver / volt-stick?

Reply to Outside Lights only work when energising breaker after a delay? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net