outside lights - up lighting trees | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss outside lights - up lighting trees in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brman

got a job to put in some outside lights and it turns out the guy wants a couple of lights lighting some trees from below. He is after soft lighting so I was thinking some diffused CFL spots but I've never done ground mounted lights before.

Is IP44 good enough or do I need to go higher for ground mounted stuff? Are there specific mechanical requirements for ground lighting?

What about cabling? I was already planning SWA underground from the house but was originally planning flex (NYY-J?) from that to the lights. Now I am not sure the best way of cabling to the ground mounted lights as I guess flex is likely to be damaged. swa all the way? it could be a pain to get underground to where he wants the lights because of tree roots......

PAR38 spike lights. you can get different colours. the actual fitting is IP rated but designed for flex cable. you would need an adapt, box to connect to SWA.

thanks tel. So they are designed to be on a flex and just stuck in the lawn somewhere?
Lets say it has a couple of meters of flex to the adaptable box (or even a outdoor socket??) does the flex need to be mechanically protected in some way? I am a bit concerned with flex just lying on the lawn or in flower borders.....

you could fit about 2ft. of bright coloured arctic flex from the ad. box to the light. it's possible to get 1.5mm SWA in the fitting, but no facility to gland it.

you could fit about 2ft. of bright coloured arctic flex from the ad. box to the light. it's possible to get 1.5mm SWA in the fitting, but no facility to gland it.

Always a problem this one, keep the flex as short as possible as you suggest, would be nice to give it some mechanical protection - but what do you use, if it's buried a spade will be through it in no time, personally, I think it's better on the surface, at least the gardener can see it.

Thanks Guys, I'll talk to the customer about what he wants protection wise. Bright coloured flex might be the best if he doesn't mind that. At least with the spikes they are easy to move when he mows the lawn!

Trees are probably about 40 foot high but the garden is reasonably small (about 50 foot square) so he doesn't want too much light dominating the area. I'll probably buy one light so he can try it on an extension lead to check whether it is what he wants before we commit to the swa etc.

Thanks Phil, I have not come across SY cable before.

however looking at sycable.co.uk it says "With the right protection (such as keeping it out of direct sunlight), SY Control Cable is useful for outdoor installations. The SY Flex is most suitable, however, for work in dry or moist indoor environments.". Don't sound so good for what I want......

sometimes not with pulg inserted they arent need to watch what your buying

Hmm... I should stop asking questions on forums, I only get worried by the answers ;)
I've used masterseal before and not had any problems but I was going to try the masterplug ones, if only because they are remarkably cheap! I can find limited info but they look like they seal with the plug in place. Anyone know any different?

There are many many plug/socket combos out there which remain weatherproof without costing the earth. If you are really concerned then go for an IP68 pair which is the best you can get (short of putting the connector itself inside an enclosure).

There are many many plug/socket combos out there which remain weatherproof without costing the earth. If you are really concerned then go for an IP68 pair which is the best you can get (short of putting the connector itself inside an enclosure).

Indeed. I wasn't concerned until mogga made his comment :(
I'll try the masterplug ones. I haven't used them before but they are IP66 rated so I would hope they are up to the job and they are half the price of the masterseal ones so it is worth getting some to have a look at at least.

I think mogga was referring to the fact that some sockets are waterproof until you plug something into them. As long as you get a plug/socket combo rated at IP66 then you will be fine.

Indeed. Masterseal quote the rating with a standard plug/cable but I can't find any info on the masterplug ones. At under 1/2 the price I am starting to doubt them but I have emailed masterplug to see what they say.

Thats why I made the comment Iv had clients say things like "iv seen waterproof sockets at --- for a fiver" only for me to show them said waterproof socket with plug in and flap open Iv got one masterseal on each shed Only as they came off a stripout done a couple of years ago NO chance would I purchase them myself there is one BnQ do as outside"KIT" that seals with plug in theres even room for a smallis adaptor type plug I think they are masterplug ones
the new masterseal ones have made the clip to hold closed easier to work and bigger space for moulded plug tops

Thats why I made the comment Iv had clients say things like "iv seen waterproof sockets at --- for a fiver" only for me to show them said waterproof socket with plug in and flap open Iv got one masterseal on each shed Only as they came off a stripout done a couple of years ago NO chance would I purchase them myself there is one BnQ do as outside"KIT" that seals with plug in theres even room for a smallis adaptor type plug I think they are masterplug ones
the new masterseal ones have made the clip to hold closed easier to work and bigger space for moulded plug tops

Ok. Thanks for the warning.

Reply to outside lights - up lighting trees in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net