outside zone | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss outside zone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
my brother just had his bathroom completly done must say plumber has done a great job but hes told my brother that the spot lights in the ceiling which are above 2.25 metres should be changed to ip rated ones now ive shown plumber the on site guide showing that there out of the zone but he still not having it please confirm i am right and has anyone had similar problems with plumbers

The OSG is just that -- a guide! Being above 2.25m places lights outside Zone 2, hence not applicable to special location rules for Zones 0 to 2 in section 701 (BS7671), but that doesn’t mean they can still be fitted in the bathroom without any consideration for the external influences (e.g. water, steam) they may encounter. If suspect to water jets mention is made of them being IPX5.

Look through section 5 of BS7671 (selection & erection of equipment)) and there will be a reg around the wording of “used equipment shall be of a design appropriate to the conditions to be used in”

Whoever is signing the certificate for having installed the lights makes the call on whether he thinks they are suitable for the environment or not!

thanks badge ive not installed the spots they were there when he moved in i take on board what you say they are out of the zone but ok maybe the one local to the shower could be changed to an ip one but all the others in my opinion would not come in contact with splashes etc

..... they were there when he moved in ....

Did he have an EICR (or PIR if a while ago) completed before he moved in? If so, that should have picked up the requirement for having, or not having, IP rated downlighters in the bathroom!

Without seeing the size, layout I cant really judged what should be fitted but I always feel that IP rated downlighters should be fitted in a bath/shower room and possibly even a utility room!

Badged has got it spot on.

However, who the F does Mr.Plumber think he is telling YOU what is and isn't right, end of the day it's up to who's issuing the certificate to decide what is satisfactory and what isn't, not stupid Mr.PLumber.

25mm cutter through all the pipe work i say.

Reply to outside zone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net